Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved, and my new house has a very nice oversized 2 car garage. This weekend I'm going to be running the circuit for the compressor and was wondering what type of piping is used so that I can have 3 or 4 hookups throughout the garage. What type of pipe should I use, cooper, black pipe or PVC?

Was wondering what everyone else may have done or used?

------------------
Brian
67 SS 396

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I've used black pipe, I think thats the best. May be trick to thread and cut if you don't have the right tools, luckily I know some millwrights and they loaned me the threader and cutter. Make sure you use plenty of unions, cause if you have a leak without them its hell trying to tighten things up.

A buddy of mine used PVC with no trouble, but I'm not sure I like pressurizing glued together plastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats. on the new garage. I am in the same project you are. The local body shop just took out their schedule 40 PVC lines and replaced all with iron. First, their insurance carrier required iron, and secondly, they knew of an exploding PVC line. They do run 175+ lbs; my lines will never be over 125, so actually I imagine PVC would be great. I am, however, using pipe and it is lots of trouble. Consider using 1/2" id up to 75ft with 3/4 id over 75ft. I would suggest you run your pressure line from compressor through a filter and into verticle pipe about 12"+ above a drain valve. When the hot air hits that cooler pipe, you will separate much of the water right then. At the top, build a riser by extending your verticle pipe about 6 to 8" above your supply line and then dropping down to connect. We have lots of humidity so getting rid of water is major problem. Hopefully, you can put the compressor close to your service panel. Now, back to your real question: iron vs pvc. I was able to buy a "bunch" of pieces of threaded pipes of different lengths at a garage sale. If I hadn't had the threaded pipe, I would have gone with PVC.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I used pvc 3/4" in my 32X36 shop.Run about 165psi in it.Works fine now for over two years.Sure is easy to fix or change if needed.And I have a pipe machine I could have used...

Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
As for location IN the garage-we built a little closet with door for the compressor-helps muffle all the noise.

Used black pipe for the lines. Good comment about the water trap-we did the same, and man do I have to empty it often!!

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OldGuy,

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are explaining. From the filter I want to connect to a verticle pipe via a tee, at one end will be a drain valve the other end will be going on to the parts of the garage. Correct? The next part is what I don't understand. "At the top, build a riser by extending your verticle pipe about 6 to 8" above your supply line and then dropping down to connect" can you explain?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe with PVC 2700 glue. The nice thing about PVC is all the fittings available. Installing an in-line filter & routing the line where I wanted was easy. When I initially put the line in service, I slowly increased the air pressure as I was afraid of breaking a line. I run mine to 140 psi without any problems.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used PVC with great results for over 5 years. My compressor is several hundred feet away from the end of the line and I have several stations all around the shop and at the bead blaster. I used a plan as described by Scatblast.com. They supply all types of media blasting materials and equipment. The plan includes risers at each station as well as at the compressor and at each station is a dryer and a valve to drain the lines. All lines should have a slop with a drain at the end. If you spend the time now you will love the results!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Brian,
Regarding the risers that I described ... call TIP Sandblast at 1-800 321-9260 and ask for a catlog on sandblast equipment. From that you can get an excellent plan for running your lines. This catalog has some stuff that you just gotta have. Refer to the post from Butch Johnson where he mentions having a bead blaster. I want one so badly, but just can't find it in the budget. Man, how much I wish I could start over with an unstained garage floor. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Beware the pressure rating of whatever you use!! Sch. 40 PVC is rated at 125PSI which will be ok for many but a 2 stage compressor can go to 175PSI, that would be a problem.

In addition to PVC and iron pipe copper with an appropriate rating is fine also.

If I ever get around to it I am going to put my compressor on the outside in an attached shed to save space inside and to reduce the noise!

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I likewise used schedule 40 pvc about 10 years ago and haven't had any problems. The pressure is about 125 psi. As far as location make sure you can get to the drain at the bottom of the compressor. Mine is under some stairs and it makes a mess when drained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We use pvc in our shop which we use everyday with a 10 HP compressor but if I did it over I would use iron, after I heard plastic doesnt show up on an x-ray after it explodes and goes into your body.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If you use CPVC instead of just PVC, it will work just fine. You will need the appropriate primer and cement along with the correct fittings, which are all available at your local home repair store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). CPVC is the high pressure, high temperature PVC piping. California even accepts it for hot water heater piping. You cannot use PVC fittings with CPVC piping because they are intentionally different sizes. CPVC and high temp - high press will be printed on the pipe and it normally is white. Good luck.

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Topic: Location of Air Compressor in Garage

The best location is outside the garage. If you plan on using the compressor a lot, I'd put it outside and run a pipe thru the wall. I built a storage shed on the outside wall of the garage and it is sooo nice not to have the noise inside.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 09-19-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.