Team Chevelle banner

Locating the voltage regulator on a '71

5200 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  71chevelleconvtble
I am looking to replace the regulator (since most everything else was replaced when fixing my battery drain problem). I believe it's supposed to be up near the radiator mount on the driver's side but I am not having much luck. Can anyone enlighten me?
1 - 3 of 6 Posts

Thanks for the response and I have purchased that same regulator but have not located the old one yet. I can see what looks like the horn relay. Am I looking in the right area? If the alternator has an internal regulator, how would I know? Appreciate the help!

Just checked and it looks like I have an internal. Well, I'm learning and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Now to return the new regulator . . .

BTW, that is a fine looking 71 you've got! How about I park my Elky at your place and pick it up in a few months? Some folks are just gifted. I'm not one of them . . .

Originally posted by 71chevelleconvtble:
Yes, you are looking in the right area. Sounds like you have may have a internal voltage regulator within your alternator. A alternator with a internal voltage regulator has a different plug (wider with spades laying down - - ). External regulated alternator has parellel spades (=).
1 - 3 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.