Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my Chevelle have a "life line" wire coming off of my positive battery wire? What exactly does this wire accomplish?

1969 Chevelle Malibu
Chevy 350ci motor

Any answers would be appreciated, just trying to figure out what good this wire is.

Nick

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Nick
The small wire from the pos cable is the batt feed for everything electrical except the starter. It also is the charging wire from the alternator to the batt when the engine is running.

Rene
66-Malibu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did Chevrolet do that? Wouldn't it have been just as simple to make all that crap run on the pos cable?

Nick

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The "positive cable" only goes to the starter and no further. So they decided to put in a wire that could apply battery power to the important stuff while the starter was sucking lots of amps from the positive cable.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT WIRE IN THE ENTIRE CAR. In fact it is NOT a wire, but a fusible link. It should be very flexible, if it appears to be a regular wire, replace it immediately with the correct fusible link available at auto parts stores.

The large wire off of the battery (+) goes to the starter of course, able to hand the massive current flow.

This little "wire", protects the underhood wiring against fires. If a devistating short would take place, this wire would fuse, or melt, disconnecting the (+) 12 volts from the car many circuits.

This wire can literally leave you stranded, so don't try to alter it.

It feeds--All of the accessories, all of the lamps/lighting, the actual starter solenoid (so your car won't start without it regardless if the big starter wire is left un-touched)all guages, ignition system components etc.

Chevrolet was actually pretty smart using fusible links. In fact they are still used on current model year vehicles. They burn-up without arcing, and are able to protect the "long runs" of wiring where it would be inconvenient to have several fuse holders with fuses.

Hope that helps

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
joe
i used a "standard" parts store replacement positive cable that had the "extra" wire attached. Would this be a fusible link? From what you said, it needs to be, but do the cheap replacement cables have this?

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Rick,

To be honest I'm not sure. Most of my stuff has been cut-'n-splice. By right, if the proper battery (+) wire replacement has been selected, it should have this fusible link. Look carefully at yours, is it "squishy" or really flexible? If it is chances are it is a correct fuse link. Some acutally say FUSE LINK on the actual wire in tiny print. If your doubtful, let me know.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is burnt almost in 2 pieces. Put a new 10 guage wire on it. So I guess I am riding in style again. lol

Nick

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Nick,

Did you use an actual fusible link wire then??? Auto parts stores carry them. It should be a 14 ga. fusible link to protect your car.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Is the fusable link rated in Amps or by gauge? Looks like mine's been backwoods engineered as well

------------------
71 Ragtop, under construction and over budget!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no idea if it is fuseable link. The old one was not original, and I can tell you how I know.....I got to takin in off, and the wire that went into the wireing harness what about 2 times bigger than this one, and plus they were connected by being wrapped around a screw. My friend said 10 guage was pretty good for my car, he has the same on his 67 Camaro. Plus...most of my accesories that this runs don't work.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts