Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to come up with my tire and wheel sizes for my '69 chevelle project. The body is already at my body guys shop several hours away so it is not convenient for me to look at or measure it. I realise several people have fit a 315 tire on an 11' rim without any major mods but I'm wondering how much more I can get. Since both full rear quarters will be off the car and the inner and outer wheelhouses are being replaced it is no problem doing a few modifications for clearance. I will be running a wolflplace 540 so the more tire I can get under it the better. It will be a street car although it may see the track a couple times a year (drag racing is not the purpose of the car). It will also be lowered significantly with 5.5X11 rear coils and circle track springs/adjusters on the front similar to several others on here.

I guess the question is:

What is the limit for tire/wheel width before the frame to outer 1/4 panel distance is just too small? (especially on a car lowered 2 or so inches)?

I am planning on 18X12 wheels with hopefully 335/30/18 tires (13.3' section width). Body guy is completely willing to modify the wheelhouses and/or inner layer of the 1/4 panel to gain some room but I need to order the wheels/tires so he can fit them and I don't want to go too big and have it impossible to make it work. I'm not interested in doing a full tub...just some tweaks to gain some clearance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I finally found my answer after trying some different searches. Looks like 315 on an 11' wheel is about the limit without touching the frame.

Now the decision is whether it is worth the extra cost of going to an 11' rim (it's an extra charge to go over 10" on most 18's).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts