Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 chevelle. I am able to keep the lights on all of the time on the low beam setting. But when I switch to my high beams, after about thirty seconds they start to cut in and out like, until I switch back to my low beams again.

Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Are you running some of the newer extra bright headlight bulbs? What is happening is that there is a circuit breaker in the head light switch. The extra current is tripping it until it cools then it resets. This causes an on-off-on effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Unfortunately I don't have more bright headlights then stock, but my headlight switch has been giving me other trouble so that propably is what is going on with it. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For what it's worth, an original Chevelle owners guide says the headlights (and parking lights) on original cars are protected by a thermal circuit breaker built into the headlight switch (as you suspected), excesive current flow will cause curcuit overflow (blinking) and warns of a probable short in wiring system (does not give clue where). For what it's worth. T.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts