Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has anyone done to make your car more visible to the soccer moms and SUV's lighting wise? Do they make those LED conversions for tail lights and turn signals on a Chevelle? I just bought a new dim headlight so I may have missed my chance, but aren't they making bright lights for the older cars now? I guess I'm mainly worried about brake lights and turn signals.

------------------
my 67 droptop

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
LEDtronics has the replacement-type LED bulbs, but I don't think they are DOT approved yet. Last time I looked there were both th e1157 and the 1157 types as well as the smaller dash light (1218??) ones.
It might sound dumb, but with the giant size of the brake lights on the newer cars, ours are getting harder to see. I guess people can pay more attention to the phone if the lights on the other cars are bigger.
Have you cleaned or repainted the taillight reflectors? If they have gone dull, it might be a problem. I had a Mustang a few years ago, and got pulled over because the police officer "thought my brake light was out" (yeah, right). It had gotten water inside it, and that had ruined the shiny finish inside the bezel. I repainted it with spray chrome spraypaint and that woke it up quite a bit.
Strangely, just last night, I was thinking about 3rd eye brakelights and wondering what I could put in my back window.
There are a lot of new cars out there with wide, low profile brake lights that would fit nicely at the base of the rear window. My 95 Exploder has a neon one that is about 18" wide that I think might look cool if it was put in right.
Maybe one of those dorky undercar neon lights could be used for that. Could make a little house for it so it sticks up from the deck and cover it with the stock rear deck material. Might look pretty stock if you did it right.

Hth

K

------------------
64 2 Door 400SB/TH350 (actually IN the driveway!)
http://users.rcn.com/chevello
"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."
TC Member #1155

·
Registered
120 Posts
I tried some of those LED replacements for the 1157 tail light bulbs in my Elky and they do not work with the stock wiring. They also don't work in the front turn/running lights either. I think there is something about the way the factory wiring is done that makes them not work in this application. On the workbench, the LED bulbs work great. I thought brighter with less heat sounded like a good deal.

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
Be carefull when buying some of those 1157 L.E.D. bulbs. I bought a pair at a swap meet for $25 to use on our Harley Davidson rear brake light and swapped back to 2057 bulbs, they were a lot brighter. I have a pair of led bulbs....

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I have both a third brake light and an LED tallight conversion. Not just a single bulb but an entire circuit card of LEDs. Jury is out whether they are any better than the 1157 bulbs, but they do seem brighter - especially in the day time - and react faster than the bulb. Life expectancy is 100,000 hrs so they should last the remaining life of the car.

A very "unscientific" comparison can be seen here.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The LED replacement bulbs typically don't work with the turn signals because they don't draw enough current to trigger the flasher element. The way to fix this is to switch from the stock turn signal flasher to a solid-state flasher; however, I am not sure if they make a solid state one for our Chevelles.

------------------

Erik

'69 Chevelle Sport Coupe, EFI355, TH350
'68 Chevrolet C10 Stepside Project, 292, t-56
'77 Chevrolet K20 Silverado LWB, 400CI, TH400

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The usual replacement LED lamps have a little IC power supply on a PCB with the LEDs on it. I can see how they might not trigger the flasher because of the current thing too. Never thought of that.
One thing I have noticed about LED taillights when sitting in traffic is that they do react faster than the standard incans. Definitely more noticable. Brighter? the unscientific comparo above seems to think so, although that just might be the CCD in the camera reacting better to the particular light frequencies of the LED.

I do wonder if switching the whole car to LEDs would make a difference to the alternator. Less current draw *might* equal a whole half a horsepower gain.

K

------------------
64 2 Door 400SB/TH350 (actually IN the driveway!)
http://users.rcn.com/chevello
"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."
TC Member #1155

1 - 8 of 8 Posts