Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We put a new ZZ4 into the chassis of a 65 Malibu SS about 8 months ago. We are going to fire it this weekend. We spun on a new oil filter and I went to put oil in the engine and found the crankcase was already full of oil. My question is should I drain this oil out and put in new oil so I am sure of what I have or is this oil some kind of special break in oil from GM? I looks like regular motor oil.
Any one else been here before?
Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ZZ4, and i just used the oil they put in there when I lit it up. I think it's just regular oil, I don't think GM uses break in oil any more.

Mike

------------------

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Use the supplied oil shipped from GM. It is of the type specified by GM and is also printed on the oil fill cover. Do a normal break in, drain and refill with same type of oil. Don’t forget to prime new oil filter before starting engine. Prime by using drill motor & tool the drives oil pump as the distributor would. Prime for about 1 min, stop and repeat two to three times. Turn engine over by rotating crank shaft 360 degrees in-between priming events. This will make sure that oil is distributed to all bearings and rocker pivots. Good luck.

Leo

------------------

·
Registered
47 Posts
All GM crate motors are broken in and tested at the factory. The ZZ4 is no exception. That's why it has oil in it. Pre-oiling the motor before firing it is always a good idea, but not necessary with yours. As you're aware, the ZZ4 has a roller camshaft which further eliminates the need for the 30 minute break-in period that would be required for a flat tappet camshaft. Go ahead and run the oil for about 500 mi. and then change it. If you're uncomfortable with this, then go ahead and change it, it won't hurt a thing.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't believe crate motors are actually "broken in", but they are test fired for a few moments to see if they run, and listen for strange noises. I believe they use natural gas, not gasoline. But with nearly all the crate motors now having roller lifters, a true break-in isn't nearly as critical.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am running a ZZ4 and when I purchased it last summer, the info packet that I got with it did not recomend any special break in procedures. Although, I confirmed this with GM directly (I believe my dealer but...) so the 500 mile bit is what we did. Also, we prefilled the oil filter. After much talk & discussion with various people, I will be switching to a pure synthetic solution after 2,000 miles. The new generation of synthetic filters and oils are far superior and will reduce the wear factor. Considering that I will only be running 3 - 5000 miles a year, it is prudent to be extra good about what my lubricant's are.

I hope it helps... Enjoy !

------------------
The proud owner of a Hot Canadian 64-SS.
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Chevelle Tech Gold Member

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.