Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cigarette lighter in my 69 appears to be out, though I've never had the occasion to check it because I don't smoke (I was going to plug in my cell phone charger). Is there a fuse for the lighter? If so, any idea which one? I can't read the labels because my fuse block in worn pretty bad.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,886 Posts
Well Dale, I looked at mine and it also is very hard to read, no white outlines over the words. Also, the wiring diagram I have does not indicate any specific fuse location.

From what I could see, the lighter fuse is the one at the top right, not the separate one at the top center. If you look at your fuse box you will get the drift of what I am saying.

Hopefully somebody can jump in here and be more specific.

Good luck.



------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
I suggest you make sure that the wire to the back of your lighter is disconnected and leave it that way. I've seen far too many 69 and 70 cars that the cigarette lighter has stayed on and melted the dash.

I understand your need for your cell phone, but just make sure your battery is charged and or buy an extra. Less aggravating than trying to repair a melted dash.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,958 Posts
To get mine to work with the phone, I had to dress the inside contact surfaces ( forget which wire brush deal I used) and also bend the tangs in a bit to grip firmer. Wouldnt worry about the thing melting down your dash really, but you could "gut" the lighter of its innards to make sure it'll never work that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Click on this link to see a picture of my '69 fuse block.
www.bee.net/juncosa/ftp/web/69FuseBlock.jpg

The second left hand space is marked "CLK. LTR." on the left side of the fuse and "CTSY" on the right hand side. I assume that this is the fuse for the Clock, Lighter, and the Courtesy Light. (That last one may be the under-dash light option or the dome light.)

There is supposed to be an orange wire leading from the back of the cigarette lighter and a black wire from either a lug or a ring that contacts the casing. If either is missing then you know your problem.

I hope this helps.

Bob
 

·
Gold Founding Member
Joined
·
64,452 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RC 70:
I've seen far too many 69 and 70 cars that the cigarette lighter has stayed on and melted the dash.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's more good - very valuable information from Team Chevelle worth much more than the cost of membership

I agree, those lighters are very prone to sticking in

Even though I smoke, I had mine disconnected for quite a while but I wanted to plug in a CB radio to use to talk to my buds when driving to Nashville so I hooked it back up

I've been thinking of hiding one of those power socket thingys in the glove box maybe


------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals


Don't point a finger - lend a hand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,762 Posts
I have an old photocopy of the fuse panel and what the fuses are for (dchavez, you've got mail!).

Anybody else want it let me know (it isn't great quality, but readable).

------------------
Bow_Tied's 2¢ worth ¿¿
'69 SS 300 Deluxe
'71 Malibu 2DR HT
Ron Cook
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. The pictures were great.

Also, FWIW, after putting off for a couple of years, I have finally become an official member here. There is no dollar amount that is comparable to all the advice and help given in this discussion forum.

Dale
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Something to consider...
A cigarette lighter, because it is essentially designed to create heat with what is basically a "short circuit", draws a lot of power. If it sticks "On", it definitely has the potential to melt the dashboard, especially if the lighter connections behind the dash are loose or corroded.
A cell phone is not a large power user, it's more like a "trickle charger". I would not worry about leaving a cell phone plugged into the lighter socket. It's not likely to cause a dash meltdown because of it's low power requirements.
Don
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top