Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this one's a little weird-even for a Chevelle, which aren't known for the best wiring harnesses on the planet.

My brother's '67 SS clone (nice ride) has a funky rear lighting problem.

Both turn signals work, both taillights work, both brake lights work. However, when you have the brakes on and the RIGHT turn signal on, the LEFT brake light quits. Kill the signal, brake light comes back. Left signal and brake light are fine, as is the right side at all times.

Turn signal switch??

Thanks, everybody

Mark

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Turn the right signal on. Step on the brakes. Measure the left bulb yellow wire to a good ground. See if there is 12 volts to it. Leave the light bulb in if you can.
If there is 12 volts repeat the test only this time take a piece of wire. Touch one end to the bulb base right where it meets the glass. Touch the other end to a good ground. See if the light comes on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taint. I've screwed with grounds and checking power with this sucker 'till It's Miller Time & it's got a good ground and NADA for power. That's what makes me think that one of the contacts in the turn signal switch may be faulty, tho I admit it's unusual.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Anything is possible. Gave you a starting point but if you are past that try repeating the test but under the dash.
Get on the yellow wire on the long turn signal switch connector. Measure it to a good ground. Push the brake pedal down. You should have 12 volts to ground. Select the right direction on the switch. You should still have 12 volts to ground on the yellow wire.
If you don't, after you select the right side, suspect a problem with the actuating cam or a dirty contact. Might be able to repair it by popping the wheel off and taking a look.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea, John, thanks
we'll give it a shot,

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts