Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the search feature is down, I need to post this question.
I have all the body bolts removed, and now I'm not exactly sure where/how to lift the body off. I plan on replacing the body bushings and upgrade the fuel line to 3/8" stainless. Anyone use the polyurethane/polygraphite body bushings ? Could use some good ideas.

Thanks,
Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Kent, just put my body back on my 70. Used three engine hoists(borrowed from friends).One on either side of the cowl.Made a beam out of wood and attached to the cowl using the top fender mounts on the cowl.The third mounted to the tail panel through custom made brackets using the body holes for the wire harnesses.Was able to lift body by myself.
As for the poly bushings,put them in my camaro and hated them.Transfered alot of engine and road vibration. My.02. Good luck...Albert

------------------
69 Chevelle SS 396 350hp convt. 4spd w/ac Monaco Orange
69 SS-RS Camaro GMPP ZL-1
w/DNE 5-Spd Hugger Orange
70 Chevelle LS-5 M-22 Cpe misty turqoise
ACES 1805

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Kent-

Check out TC member JeffK's website at www.72chevelle.com and click on "body/electrical" button at the left of the screen. He's been documenting the restoration of his 72 Chevelle SS with a lot of great pictures. Several show how he lifted the shell off his chassis. My site also has pix of my method, but you would need access to a lift. Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of 72 Chevelle Resto: http://www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Kent
I lifted mine with floor jacks and boards under the rocker panels. I have a couple pix, follow the link in my signiture.

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028
(OO ss OO)
chevl71 homepage

·
Registered
158 Posts
You Can check out my website, it may give you some ideas....

Darryl

------------------

If you Dont like the USA "Get The Hell Out"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a floor jack and some wood should do the trick. No body-off restoration, just changing the fuel line size, and well you know how things "snowball" when you are working on your project. So, after looking at the body mount bushings, they are in need of replacement. Was leaning towards the polygraphite or polyurethane (not sure which is which), to match the rest of the suspension bushings that I have replaced. But Albert (post above) does not recommend them. Would like to hear from others that have used either the stock rubber or poly. body mount bushings. Any brands/vendors to stay away from ?

Thanks again,
Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am also trying to decide between rubber and poly bushings. I have a convertible and would like to strengthen the chasis.

I have heard people with both good and bad experience with poly (too stiff / not too stiff). I would think it wouldn't be too bad since unit body cars have the suspension attached directly to the body.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Charles,

Maybe it's just my paranoia but I'd be very reluctant to install stiff body bushings on a convertible. Here's my logic;

Unlike unibody cars, the bodies of these cars were never engineered to withstand the torsional stresses - that's why the frames were boxed. Even with boxed frames there's still not a lot of torsional stiffness. Translated, these cars are Flexible Flyers. Have ya watched the gap between the door and rear seat panel move while driving? That's what those striker plates are for in the door jambs. It's a little unsettling. Remember, the frame was boxed to keep the body from flexing. The body was not designed to keep the frame from flexing.

The rubber mounts allow the frame to flex without passing on too much of the flex to the body. By using poly mounts, far more of the frames' flexing (and twisting as well) will be transmitted directly to the body - which will have to absorb that energy someplace - likely at the weakest spot, which is the bottom rear of the door openings.

Metal does fatigue. I'd think that, after time, one might possibly see some cracks developing or seams separating.

For me the same logic applies to installing poly suspension components on these old beasts. Those old pick up points have seen a lot of cycles over the years (fatigue) and the rubber bushings absorbed and dissipated a lot of energy that would have been passed directly to the pick up points. Granted, some of the mounts are less robust than others but you get my paranoia - I mean, point.

Hope this helps....

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.