Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone offer an opinion on this ? i adjusted my solid lifters last week. i set them to .019 int and.021 ex. they we're adjusted to somewhere between .010 and .012 when i got to them. now they seem too loud. i admit i adjusted them cold and plan on taking another run at them hot. could i be looking at a bad cam? big time overlap? any ideas? it's a 461 with solids and stamped rockers. john..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Solids are noisy, and .010 to .012 is pretty tight clearance. When you're adjusting them cold, add .002 to the clearance, as the clearance gets tighter when it warms up. Does the car run OK?

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
John,
You really need to find out what cam you have if possible. Several of the cam companies have come out with "tight lash" cams in the past few years and if you have one, the lash migh be as little as .014" If there is anyway to find out what cam it is, that would be the first step.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine started getting a little louder than usual so I adjusted them. They got a lot quieter but got loud again fairly quickly. Turns out a lifter failed and lunched the cam. You might want to take a look.

D

·
0 Posts
Recheck the lash. If it has loosened up on any of the rockers, you might want to look at some polylocks (rocker nuts with allen set screws). Also, machined rocker studs (like ARP's) will help in keeping your lash correct. These studs have machined tops which are superior to the less than perfect stock studs. And lastly, when I added a set of Roller Rockers (mine happen to Harland Sharp's) my solid cam seemed to quiet up quite a bit. Well, as much as a solid cam is going to be quiet. Have you thought about maybe switching over to a Hydr. cam?? Might suit your tastes more? Just my thougts. David

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree stock rockers are noisy take 2or3 in your hands and rattle them around.If possable try the same with true rollers.Exactly why I run them with a hdy cam nice quiet valve train...FRED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.