Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting my 69 pro street on the road next week but will need to make a cutout in my plate so i would be able to install the parachute. Has anybody on here done this and if so did you get any hassles from the POPO. Pics would be great if you have any. HAPPY HOLIDAYS,Frank

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Is the parachute just for show? I've seen cars that need chutes install them at the track. The mount is hidden behind the license plate and then folded down to attach the chute at the track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for show. The plate does not lay flat due to the tube that slightly sticks out. Wanted to drive the car on the street but still show off my personalised plate.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would ask your state DMV. My guess would be no for multiple reasons. Obstruction of view of the plate of any kind is a big NO NO. Modification of the plate is likely illegal. Also would raise questions of the plates authenticity by any offcier of the law in the event of a traffic stop. Most run a quick detach set up that is hidden behind the plate as stated by Ray.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It already has a quick detached system. The plate does not close flush due to the rod that exists now. Probably looking to make a notch at the top of the plate 1" by 3". It appears the lettering on the plate would not be hidden when the chute is installed. Could install when i get to a show, just thought it would look cool while driving.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
767 Posts
It's not so much that you would be stopped, but you could;

Here is some wording from your state statutes regarding display of plates:

"and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida," the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear"

Hope this info helps...

·
Registered
355 Posts
In several states the Police look for reasons to stop us guys with classic or street rod type of cars. I try not to do anything that they will use as an excuse

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found an old plate i once had on a small trailer i sold. Going to attempt to make it fit and see just how visible the plate is after mounting the chute before i use my new one. The only other way of doing it would probably be to have a new piece made with a bend so the chute would sit higher up over the plate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car is having the ring and pinion changed and should be back by the end of this week. Will take some pics and post asap. Thanks for all the replies, Frank

·
Banned
14,112 Posts
In Pa. that would be called a defaced or tampered plate. A ticket for sure,I know.:sad:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would think the decal on the rear window would draw some attention from law enforcement too........

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just had that put on along with the window tint which is 15% on the side windows which is also illegal by todays law. More concerned if the plate is too modified which in my opinion it is not. You can still read the letters if the remove before flight is left off. Here in Florida they really only pull you over if you deserve it. 20mph. over the limit and they have no tolerence for drinking and driving.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just had that put on along with the window tint which is 15% on the side windows which is also illegal by todays law. More concerned if the plate is too modified which in my opinion it is not. You can still read the letters if the remove before flight is left off. Here in Florida they really only pull you over if you deserve it. 20mph. over the limit and they have no tolerence for drinking and driving.
Normally most cops will let you go if you aren't acting crazy, but if they are looking to get you, it just gives them a reason to pull you over. Funny you are in Tarpon Springs, I have a friend that lives in Clearwater and he is building a car for me now. The motor is at a shop called Realspeed which is 3 bays down from him. Small world.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts