Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I haven't been on here since I sold my Chevelle. :( But I do have a tech question, so I thought I would ask one of the biggest tech forums I knew of! You guys were always good to help me out before and I need to know something. I have an '81 K10 Chevy with a 305. I've been struggling with some problems for a while now. I finally got rid of the EGR intake and old Q-jet carb and replaced it with a Edelbrock Performer and a remanufactured Q-jet. I think I got all that straightened out. I need to know what my initial and total timing should be. I don't know any specifics on the motor except for the top end. It has 416 heads, Performer intake, the Q-jet (which is an early model 70-72). The motor has been gone through once I believe. It has a chrome oil pan(which I need to change), timing chain cover(that leaks), and valve covers. I don't know if it has a bigger cam or not. If it does it isn't much of one. So any help would be appreciated on what I need to time it at, and any other things I might need to do, such as change the mech advance springs, etc. Thanks a million.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
try it at 10*, see how it works. if you don't have a dial-back timing light install a timing tape so you can see total.

there's really nothing carved in stone on it, you can run anywhere it runs best, just watch that the total doesn't get too high.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good deal. I'll have to borrow or buy a timing light. The guy that timed it before said "that's about as good as I can get it". So I don't know what it's set at. I just took it out and drove it. It's running a lot smoother but it falls on it's face at WOT. I'm gonna check for vacuum leaks in a couple of days and see if I can find anything. I had to idle it up a little before I could drive it. I have to hook up my tach too, so I can properly set everything when I get it straightened out. I need to buy a vacuum guage to tune with also. Man, I just need all kinds of stuff! Any ideas on the poor WOT? I pulled out on the road and mashed on it a minute ago. It has 33's on it and spun for a second then shifted into 2nd, and it was terrible from there. It didn't even gain any rpms I don't believe.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Like Tom said.Get your ignition timing set before moving on to WOT falls on its face issues.That 1-2 shift bog can be addressed later and may just clear up with the correct spark advance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok good deal. I'll report back in once I get the timing straightened out. To tune initial timing I unhook vacuum advance correct? Then total timing I hook up the advance and check it throughout the rpm range, or at a set rpm? Sorry for the newb questions but this is my first time actually tuning an engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts