Team Chevelle banner

When would you most consider racing in Vegas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few local TCer's and a growing number of out of towners have expressed interest in an impromtu Vegas racing rendevous (sp). Vote AND post, as POLL results will not be indicative of who you are and/or where you would be coming from.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway has attracted more than a few TCer's to their Friday Midnite Mayhem street car drags. Many more have posted desires of flogging their rides at "The Strip" sometime in the future. It's understandable, besides offering a world class facility, hosting (2) NHRA, (2) Lucas, AHDA, multiple PSCA and NMCA national events annually, their non-sanctioned racing is known for very lenient tech policies, although, proof of license, registration and insurance are required. Often times, T&T preceeds MM, in which case, track only bracket cars will occasionally hang around for additional track time. This route costs a bit more than the $10 MM fee and NHRA Tech applies, but this also allows you a support vehicle in the pits, where as MM does not.

Normally, one of two reasons are prohibitive to visitor participation, work and/or heat. As far as work, well, the races are on Friday, can't change that, however, those within the 5-6 hour travel window should be happy to know that the gate is generally open until 11pm most of the season. Five plus runs are easily conceivable between 11-1am. For those further away, consider dates that corespond with other events to better justify taking a day (or half day) off. Go to www.lvms.com click on "schedule", then "strip" for a complete listing.

Heat wise, July has no dates scheduled and August only 1 or 2, most importantly, I will be in Sturgis during most of these two months. If done in my absence, know that I can not be held responsible for my actions. June looks to have MM every weekend, while September has 3. October 17 and November 21 have been single out because they occur on PSCA and Street Car Super Nationals weekends, respectively.

P.S. I voted for all dates

·
Registered
489 Posts
November 21 would be better weather. You could also stay and race the weekend for fun. Plus that is the week I take off for vacation to go to AZ for the thanksgiving holiday. I could go to vegas on the way (a round about way).

·
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I stand corrected, apparently there is little or no interest.

Daryl,
The trip to Tucson was almost the exact same time of year (11/17-19). Weather was great, for both travel and racing.

Personally, attending Chevellebration is way up on my "Things To Do" list. Unfortunately, it isn't in my forseeable future. I'm sure things are similar for other TCer's further west and/or north. That's why a Left Coast alternative, especially in a low key, zero commitment type of get together would seem appealling. Yeah, I'm Vegas bias, but I'm not above a little road trip myself, attending ALL OUT TUCSON proved that. The reality is, the track and the town are unique in what they have to offer. Secondary appeal just may be what is needed to persuade a spouse or posse to accompany.

Anti Tour style from various launch points, collecting others along the way would be cool and provide a security blanket for those straddling the reliability fence. Atleast six TCer's showed up when Car Craft came to town, although not all in their Chevelles and only three of us racing. The resulting threads included dozens of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" posts from our So.Cal contingency. What's happened to you guys? Moved to the mid west? Gone Hybrid? What?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Rowdy I voted for all the choices but the last one of course!!!

I am really trying to get my 383 put back in my 68 so I can be out there on the 30th or at least on June 6. My car is not registered, so no MM for me, but I do run at TnT's and then I will definitely stick around in the pits for MM, if your attending......

Let me know if your going to be out there on the 30th or the next time your running, because I really want too see the 66 in action:):):)

·
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,
Greg (GSOUPME) mentioned that he had been talking to you about his fan wiring. We intended to go last Friday, then my int sprag took a dump Thursday night. Pulled the tranny, stripped a couple of core TH400's for a possible 34 element donor, but both ended up having 16 element sprags, so it just wasn't gonna happen.

I ordered another 36 element sprag and inner race (old one split clean thru) from COAN. It should be on my porch when I get home Friday night. The 30th is a distinct possibility.

I thought that you had two Chevelles, one being a driver. What's the difference in performance?

Never mind, just read your signature.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Hi Rowdy, I'm lookin real hard at November. Looks like I'll be going to that little race in Orlando, FL in October! Pat

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Rowdy, I would love to come race with you guys, I'm just too far away. Diesel is $4.50+ a gallon. I'm not hauling anywhere this year. My home track is 15 minutes from my house so that is where I will stay. I may go to the bracket finals this fall, but it may depend on the cost. On another note. There is a trade show in Vegas in June I have an outside shot at attending. If I do I will give you a call and you can show me what being Rowdy is all about!:D

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Count me in Rowdy, whenever. I voted for June/September because I have the least responsibilities from school during those months, but really I can make it anytime of the year. All I would need is a couple weeks notice to get my schedule worked out and round up a co-pilot or posse. The more people I can drop off at the Vegas strip, the more I can coerce gas money from :D

·
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pat,
November looks like the front runner. Honestly, I try to make it out to every MM. Work and broken parts (last Friday) take their toll, but this year I've been a victim of circumstances. Second MM of the season was cancelled because of wind and twice I was turned away at the gate (entry closed early) due to excessive turnout. I would talk to track officials in advance to prevent that from happening to out of towners if and when something is determined.

jbird,
Like mentioned above, June has MM every Friday. I'm doin' my damndest to have my tranny back together by this weekend. If all goes as planned, I should be good to go whichever week your in town. As has been the standard, I'll even pick you up at the airport in the Chevelle, schedule permitting. And, of course, transportation to an from the track. I'll appologize in advance for the overabundance of huffed and juiced sewing machine at MM, but what's a motorhead to do. They're probably the only reason that the track remains open for street cars to race.

Enrique,
I knew that you would be "In Like Flynn". What I can't explain, why you placed another September vote an hour after your original. Something new we should know about? Care to place your reservations to stay in my front yard again :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Brian,
Greg (GSOUPME) mentioned that he had been talking to you about his fan wiring. We intended to go last Friday, then my int sprag took a dump Thursday night. Pulled the tranny, stripped a couple of core TH400's for a possible 34 element donor, but both ended up having 16 element sprags, so it just wasn't gonna happen.

I ordered another 36 element sprag and inner race (old one split clean thru) from COAN. It should be on my porch when I get home Friday night. The 30th is a distinct possibility.

I thought that you had two Chevelles, one being a driver. What's the difference in performance?

Never mind, just read your signature.
Sounds good Rowdy.... The 68 that is a driver has a tranny issue that needs addressing. It's a th350 and third gear is messed up. Everything in the tranny works good, reverse, first and second. When it shifts into third the car starts to shake violently, and makes some unwanted noises, but thats probably for another thread.....

·
Premium Member
9,520 Posts
I'll vote for Oct if the bridge is done by then:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts