1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

unfortunately, I lost the pushrods and some bolts after disassembling a 454:(

it is from a late 80s truck with peanut port heads and flat tappet cam

what is the length and OD of stock pushrods on these motors ?

thanks

·
Registered
14,537 Posts
my peanut port motor had 5/16 push rods, the intake and exhaust are different length. just go to the parts store and pick up a stock set. jim

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Ahmed,
Jim is right, the later BBC engines had the 5/16" pushrods and guide plates.
I would not use them on a stock engine as they are prone to flexing. Why not step up to a 3/8" set of pushrods and guideplates? Or get a quality set of aftermarket 5/16 diameter units?

Back in 1994 I deployed to KSA and was at Ad-Dammam. Looking at the map, Safwa is right up the street! Quite a few American cars there, especially full-size Impalas. Rows and rows of them on the docks there. What is the availability of Big Block Chevy parts in Safwa, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia anyway? Mail-order?

I measured a set I have in the garage..
Intake 8.25"
Exhaust 9.25"
Caution: This is an approximation and may not be the exact stock figure. I believe the listed figures to be 8.28 and 9.25" long but need confirmation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim

I am rebuilding the engine and I will use Isky Mega Cam 270
so stock ones won't be a good choice
I just want to know their length

any way
thank you very much

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
George,
You are correct. Official length is 8.280" intake and 9.250" exhaust.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George

I don't want to upgrade the guide plates since this motor will be in a K15 GMC truck and it won't be revved high

and nice to hear that you have been here

almost all big blocks we have are from trucks with peanut heads unless you can find a really old passenger car which is really hard nowadays because of the very high demand on steel which caused most of Junkyards to sell their old stuff to steel factories
However, some used mercruiser marine 454s with rectungle heads are available (most of them are imported from Kuwait)

stock replacement parts are available every where but performance parts aren't that popular so most of the time we order them from the US

thanks
Ahmed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts