Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have posted about this earlier, and did what you all have said.

the right blinker works great, but the left lights (front and rear) come on but do not flash!!!!!!!!!!

i have tested the ground at front and rear bulbs.

both bulbs are new and the correct number.

and tonight i put in a new flash can. still don't work!!!

is there anything else? i don't see how the bulbs can light, but not flash, especially with good ground, bulbs, and flash can!!!

your help is greatly appreciated! this is pissing me off!

thanx in advance,
samX1 66 chevelle

·
Registered
91 Posts
One thing that comes to mind is to check voltage at both bulb sockets.If there is some corrosion in the left signal circuit there may be enough power to light the bulbs but not trip the flasher.You should have battery voltage at the sockets.Hope this helps,Jerry.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I assume you replaced the flasher can with one of the cheap ones and not one of the super heavy duty camper specials. These tend to stop flashing because there is not enough current going though them to trip.
The way signals work is you have voltage, to the lamps, until the mechanical flasher can gets hot enough to trip. It takes all the bulbs working to get it hot enough to trip.
Most of the time it is a ground connection to one of the bulbs that reduces current through the flasher can.
First take a look at the rear bulbs while someone is stepping on the brake. Is the left side dimmer than the right side? A bad ground will prevent the left bulb from being as bright as the left. Not getting anywhere?

Next, remove the left rear bulb, turn on the turn signal (key on), and measure the voltage from the yellow wire to a good frame ground. You should have a steady 12 volts.

Next, reinstall the lamp, and take a piece of wire. Touch one end to the bulb base where it meets the glass. Tough the other end of the wire to a good frame ground. If it's a bad ground the steady on light should start blinking. If none of this works on the rear of the car, repeat the same tests on the front. The front left turn signal wire should be a blue one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts