Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lee's Mfg. Now Sells a Complete Conversion Kit for Grand Cherokee Steering Upggrade

Title sais it all. All you have to do is buy a steering box from the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They sell the kit for around $80 and it comes with flexible steering coupler, and fittings to use your stock lines. Seems like a pretty good deal. That means total cost of the upgrade is around $120! :thumbsup:

Lee Manufacturing
1661 Pendelton St.
Sun Valley, Ca. 91352
(818) 768-0371 (talk to Tom Lee or his wife)

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Lee's Mfg. Now Sells a Complete Conversion Kit for Grand Cherokee Steering Upggra

Thanks for the info. I will hopefully purchase one later this year.

So this will make it a bolt in swap?
Supposed to be. I just removed the old box last night. Im very excited. I just have to rent a pitman arm puller, then bolt it in. I should be able to use my old column and old lines with the kit, so I anticipate a bolt it. As long as I can get it in all aligned right so my steering is equal both ways.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Lee's Mfg. Now Sells a Complete Conversion Kit for Grand Cherokee Steering Upggra

how did you find out about the kit? they dont have any information on the website. and how do the SAE to metric fittings work are they press fit?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,779 Posts

I just bought a kit from them for a Monte Carlo SS box to Chevelle swap. $87 ($79 for the new rag joint and $8 for the fitting adapters). Shipping was actual cost ($7.80 from CA to IN). The hose adapters are press-in alum sleeves with flare taper. Instructions say use a 1/4" bolt and thread a nut on it about 1/4" as a pilotted driver and tap them in til they bottom out. Their website (www.leepowersteering.com) only has their address and phone # on it and an email address link.

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I heard about it when I talked to Mrs. Lee. I didnt know about it until they told me. Just trying to pass the good news to you guys! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts

Title sais it all. All you have to do is buy a steering box from the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They sell the kit for around $80 and it comes with flexible steering coupler, and fittings to use your stock lines. Seems like a pretty good deal. That means total cost of the upgrade is around $120! :thumbsup:

Lee Manufacturing
1661 Pendelton St.
Sun Valley, Ca. 91352
(818) 768-0371 (talk to Tom Lee or his wife)
They've had that kit for quite a while now. I bought one from them 3-4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They've had that kit for quite a while now. I bought one from them 3-4 years ago.
Oh, well noone told me! :confused:

I just figured I should get the word out. Driving these things on the freeway can be scary at times. I just want people to know that installing one of these boxes only requires 2 purchases and costs very little. I feel this and front disk brakes are some important upgrades for our old cars. :yes:

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,779 Posts

I just completed the Monte Carlo SS box swap to my '69 Malibu. The Lee kit worked very well. No problems there. You have to reuse the original pitman arm which can be a pain to get on and off. I got a loaner pitman arm puller from Autozone. I had to use a 3 ft long "cheater" pipe placed over the pitman arm and and other cheater pipe on the breaker bar to both break the nut loose and get enough torque on the puller bolt to get the arm off. Also needed the cheater on the arm to torque the nut back on (140 ft/lb per GM manual). I did the removal and install of arms on the floor where I could use my full body weight on the wrench/cheater combo and the floor to resist the pitman arm/cheater. BTW the steering is fast and precise now but the MC box is a "high effort" box so it's a lot stiffer than before. On center it feels like manual steering but stopped or very slow it has the power assist.

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts

Oh, well noone told me! :confused:

I just figured I should get the word out. Driving these things on the freeway can be scary at times. I just want people to know that installing one of these boxes only requires 2 purchases and costs very little. I feel this and front disk brakes are some important upgrades for our old cars. :yes:
There were a couple of posts several years ago when I first bought my kit but it's never a bad thing to post good information like this. The Tech Reference section under Suspension (front and rear) #5 Jim Shea's Power Steering Pages covers this very topic.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts