Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the factors that I need to deal with to install led's in my car? I am thinking of doing a third brake light, as well as dash indicators. I heard that you have to use resistors in-line with the leds to lower the voltage then up the amp tolerance of the system fuse. Any ideas?

------------------
71 Malibu
Sophmore College Student
Bowtie Loyal

[This message has been edited by chevelleman71 (edited 01-17-2003).]

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
The 'bulb' replacements have any needed resistor built into the base. Just plug them in and go. I'm almost certain that the aftermarket third light setups also take a 12V input. No external changes needed. If you're using just over the counter LED's you would probably need about 400 or 500 ohms in series with the power lead. You can play with one at the battery using an adjustable pot (1k 10 turn) from the Shack. Find the value that gives you the brightness you want, then buy fixed resistors for the install.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The 71 Malibu uses a quarter twist socket to hold the turn lights in the dash bezel. Dave's right. If you use a "Radio Shack" LED you need the resistor. Almost have to cut up the PC board back there to add a resistor. That car takes a "194" type lamp. There are drop in replacements out there that just plug in. No cutting up required. Not sure I'd go with the blue one behind the green lens. Besides at $15.00 each I'm way too cheap. Here is one source to give you an idea. There are others. http://www.trendcruiser.com/category.asp?catcode=6

·
Registered
3,750 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
470 Ohm, 1/4W is a standard, 5 for a buck, RadioShack item. Will work with Red, Yellow, Green, Blue LEDS using 12VDC. This value will give good brightness and life.

------------------
'64 El Camino
383 - TH-350 - 12bolt - 4wh pwr discs
Bedded down for the Winter. (Way too early.. It's still nice (?) here! NOPE!! now 0 at night with -10 windchill)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts