Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I have replaced all the parking and turn signal lights with LEDs, The thermal flasher does not work. I need to find a solid state electronic flasher. I have tried the EL12 from tridon with no luck. I realy hate to put a resistor on the signal wires to make it work, im trying to clean up the wireing on my chevelle. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I understood that those will require the electronic flasher to work, I would keep looking for one, perhaps an online supplier???

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
A resistor in parallel with the light would work but isn't that counter productive? Along with longevity I thought one of the benefits of the leds is reduced current demand.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I havnt found a solution yet. But, I think I am gonna make a circiut out of a 555 timer. It may require rewireing how the turn signals work, but it wont use as much electricity. Plus I dont think any body has done it before. Any electronics people out there - I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I've been contemplating the same solution (using the tried & true 555), but haven't built anything beyond the theory on paper stage. Getting a 60Hz flash rate will be interesting in a small package.
I've built some LED replacement lamps (see sig.) for my '64, and didn't have any problems with the standard flasher - but I'm still using incandesants for the dash and front indicators. This will soon change, as the entire car will be going LED in the near future.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by shawn's69conv:
Well, I havnt found a solution yet. But, I think I am gonna make a circiut out of a 555 timer. It may require rewireing how the turn signals work, but it wont use as much electricity. Plus I dont think any body has done it before. Any electronics people out there - I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
555 switching a transistor I assume. Should work. Look on the web or electrical catalogue to find out what other components to get the timing you want. Definately not 60hz, beyond the visible range, more like .5hz. Should be able to get some ideas at work tomorrow if I have time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts