Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a really cool upgrade modification to the brake/turn lights on my 66. I updated them to real LED lights. Not the cheap 1157 led bulb. I used a 2 way 16 LED "Truck-Lite" LED pack part # 21271R. I then cut the light housing open to get the light pack out and it fits perfectly in the original tail light housing on my 66. The led light pack measures 1 1/2" x 3". The only thing I had to do is run a ground wire, because the bulb socket housing is the ground on the old bulbs. I used bullet type connectors, because that is what was already on the LED light. They are a lot brighter and a lot safer than the old 1157 bulb. LED's also light faster and have a longer life to them. I spent about $80 for the upgrade and it looks and functions much better than before. I will try to post a pic soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just logged on to do some research about some type of LED lights for my '65 and BAM - there you are with this great info, SWEET. I did a search quite awhile ago and remember hearing about some type of LED light bulb, but I may be wrong. I would really like to see some pics. I may also look for some type of nice 3rd brake light for the back window, but will have to dig into wrecking yards to find something that would look decent.

Thanks,

MJ

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to post them for everyone to see. But I can't. It says at the bottom of this screen that I cannot psot attachments. I can email them to you. I took the pics with my cell phone camera, so they didn't turn out all that well. Most of the info needed is in my first post. If you need any more info or would like me to send pics just email me. I really like the looks of mine and they are way brighter and safer than they were before.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My LED conversion is not just a light bulb change. I have tried that before with no benefit. Like I said I used the Truck-Lite 21271R 16 diode LED light pack. It measures 1 1/2" x 3", and contains 16 LED's. It sucks that we cant attach pics on here. I will send pics soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts