Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with
Harcourt Distant Learning? I've looked
into taking automotive courses at the local
community college and at Lincoln Tech, but almost all the classes are during the day and are restricted to program students (GM or Ford factory techs). I am just a regular
corporate 9-to-5 guy who likes Chevy muscle.
I am looking into the Harcourt program, which would be in addition to hands-on learning from friends in my area as well. Right now it's a bit frustrating when I get ideas for my car because I have to go them for help. I wanna learn how to do things myself and more about how the different systems work.

Thanks!

------------------
1971 Malibu Project car
(350 eng, TH350)
1994 Cavalier Z24 Daily Driver
(3.1L V6, 5 spd)
BOWTIES FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might want to check out New York Technical Institute. In our area, they have nite classes for automotives which is Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 6 pm to 11 pm. I work the same hours like you so I'm enrolling in NYTI to get myself more familiar with chevys.

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Boo,
I dont think you would be happy with the Lincoln Tech type classes. They are geared more towards those that have the basic knowledge needed to work on cars. They are really into the high tech type of stuff used int he modern vehicles, not no much into older systems. I doubt that they even teach carburetors and point type ignitions any more. If you are pretty good mechanically, I think you would spend your money better by going to Borders and buying several of the excellent books available on the subject. I have learned everything I know (not much
) by hands on and reading. No training whatsoever. I would have to say that most of the better mechanics I know learned the basics the same way. I do know that NOVA has some very good classes in automotive machining, they may have some basic automotive classes also. If you are a Northern Va resident it is pretty cheap. One of my employees took all of the machining classes and said they were pretty good.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
423 Posts
Boo;

If there isn't a good school nearby, then hang out with your friends that do car work and just help out.

Think about buying a junker car that you can play around with. (one that you don't need to keep running to get to work) As an example, 68 Nova's don't cost much and you can get one with a 350 engine. Do a low dollar rebuild of the engine, with your friends help. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Read a lot! That "how to rebuild your small block Chevy" book by David Vizard is great. Read it from front to rear, I have.

Approach everything on the car as just "rebuilding" and NOT high performance.

Just get dirty and keep a smile on your face.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I have learned alot just by reading books, surfing this site, tinkering around, and learning from friends.
Bill K, I am also a member of the MD Chevelle Club. I will be looking for you at the show next week up in Northeast, MD.
I have also seen some of your other posts and hopefully once I save up enough I'll be calling on your svcs to rebuild my 10-bolt.

------------------
1971 Malibu Project car
(350 eng, TH350)
1994 Cavalier Z24 Daily Driver
(3.1L V6, 5 spd)
BOWTIES FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
There is no better teacher than experince go to your local HI school enrole in the basics.Then find a shop that will give you a job free gratis learn by asking guestions no matter how stuipid you think they might be. You will find one of those guys will take the time to answer.I love sharing info,not that I'm that smart but I'm old and have been in the trade a long time.GEEZE now I even feel old.Damn all those aches and pains.FRED

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.