Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 307 has Leaky Valve Covers. I want to fix them ONCE. Any ideas... double gaskets, gasket goop, heavy metal covers that don't distort????
Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Interesting, I was just going to ask this same thing. I too have a 307.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Use the long spring type reinforcments.Corvairs had this problem these were used the cure it.They are now in chrome most times the problem is overtightening...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
293 Posts
After fighting with the silver cork gaskets for a year I finally decided to invest the $12 in a good set of rubber gaskets. So far, no more leaks.

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Registered
567 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markcord:
After fighting with the silver cork gaskets for a year I finally decided to invest the $12 in a good set of rubber gaskets. So far, no more leaks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the ONLY solution I've found. FelPro Gaskets are the best in my opinion........

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of the biggest problems with valve covers is over-tightening the hold down bolts. I do this all the time and finally started using a nut driver to tighten the bolts by hand and this works great.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yep. Just hit your local parts store (NAPA, Advanced Auto, etc.). They're sure to have 'em.

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'm using the double thick, laminated (cork/steel/cork) Fel-Pro gaskets. They are reusable. With long spreaders and light torque, I've had zero leaks. This is with stamped aluminum Moroso covers. They are pricey, around $30.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street
Pat's Page (CR Calculator, Utilites, car specs)

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Pat Kelly is right. There simply is not a better gasket on the market in my opinion. The one you require is fel pro part number 1641.

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.