Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a maintence free battery in my Chevelle. When I took it out today, I noticed it was leaking acid out of the vent hole. Its probably 3 or 4 years old, but it holds a good charge. Any idea why it would be leaking?

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
If it is a sealed battery there was too much gas pressure built up inside and the safety vent opened. It could be a defective valve, in which case the battery might be returned for warrenty.
It could also be over charged. What is your charging voltage at cruise (say 2500 rpm)?

Ron

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a higher amp alt. in the car for my stereo. It had a 55amp,
the one put in the car is putting out about 80amps. I didn't think there would be a problem considering the fact that the alt. has an internal reg.
I know this might sound like a dumb question....
You think this could cause the batt. to over charge?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Brian if the voltage regulator is working properly the alt will only put out the amps required. So no a larger alt should not do that unless the voltage reg is hosed and allowing the alt to over charge. Voltage should be around 14 to 15 volts at the horn relay, car running of course. This assumes it's still a 3 wire setup and the sensing is still at the main splice, very close to horn relay.

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
I agree with Hank. It should be fine provided it is a 3 wire set up, again, you need to measure the voltage at the horn relay and the battery.

Horn relay power terminal s/b 14V or so, battery voltage should be 13.2 to or so with the car running at idle.

Then run the revs up, it should be the same. If the voltage goes up at the horn relay the alternator is not regulating properly.

Ron

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I took the alt. off. I'm taking it back to the place that rebuilt it. I'll have them test it to see if the internal reg is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts