Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used the GM Valve Cover Adapters (PN 24502540) on our GM 330/350 Vortec Crate Motor so we could use "MOON" brand nostalgia finned aluminum valve covers (Outside Flange Mount). We love the "LOOKS"!

When we fired up the motor for the first time last Friday, the passenger side valve cover (lower edge) leaked quite a bit. As I tightened the bolts, it started to leak more, eased off and it slowed down. We used Moroso Valve Cover Gaskets (PN 93020-blue in color, rubber?) which were furnished by Sallee Chevrolet when we ordered the Engine/Trans. The drivers side didn't leak=YET.

The inside bottom edge of the valve covers appears flat (used a very straight aluminum straight edge).

What possibly is causing this? Can we purchase a valve cover gasket that can be used with sealants (Silicone, etc., or?).

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2
Team Member(s) 341

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Richard,
I have those adaptors on the crate engine in my old Corvette so I can use the old style Vette valve covers. As I recall they use an O ring that fits into a groove in the adaptor. That ring goes down against the head sealing surface. I used valve cover gaskets from Summit they are rubber with a steel core. The new style heads even have a taller gasket surface to further reduce the chance of oil leaks which was a problem for the old style heads. The adaptors are not supposed to be too tight otherwise they will distort and leak. Suggest you check the following:
Is the O ring seated properly and not displaced?
Is the O ring placed against the head sealing surface?
Are adaptors properly and evenly tightened?
Is the oil being forced out by crankcase pressure because of improperly installed PVC valve?
Hope this helps let me know what you find.
Best regards.......mgg

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Yep, the adaptors come with O-rings and detailed instructions as mentioned above. However, when I bought mine, nobody bothered to mention that you can't use them with 'stepped' pushrod guides. They interfere with the adaptors in a big way. I took a big chance and cut the center ribs out of the adaptors. They seemed thick and strong enough to do so. After that the O-ring seal caused leaks.I removed the O-rings and just used gasket sealant and a good silicone. It worked out great though. 20,000 miles and no leaks what-so-ever.

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whered you get those adapters? I talked with chevy parts dealer and said they dont make those. If I get a pair to use perimeter covers on center bolt heads will I be able to use the standard roller rockers or will I still have to buy the narrow body roller rockers? What is the part number.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will double check the adapter to head 0 ring seals Friday (Next day off). As stated in my first post, you could see that the inside lip of the valve cover didn't seat to the Moroso valve cover gasket in two (2) places (Small areas). I noticed this evening that the gasket seems to be quite distorted (It's off the car, sitting in our warm den). It is a hard rubber, maybe reinforced gasket!?????

I will call Don tomorrow at Sallee Chevrolet to see what he thinks.

Actually, we were hoping someone had used/uses some type(s) of gaskets that are "LEAK PROOF" under any circumstance(s).

Thanks for any and all info.

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2
Team Member(s) 341

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.