Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an additive to decrease or eliminate a leak in a power steering box? I have plans to change the box later but am looking for a temporary fix.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Jim;

The big question is where is it leaking?

If you are planning on getting it fixed in the near future, I'd recommend that you just buy fluid by the case and not risk using some "additive" that may cause other problems.

Wes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's leaking past the input shaft you can get a re-seal kit for about $25. I pulled my box and had a shop install the kit for $50. It fixed my leak for about 9 months and then started leaking again - I guess the shaft is just plain worn. I've tried all the additives and sealers and they haven't worked for me. Right now I just add fluid every 3 days to keep from frying the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it is leaking from the lower seal, its a pretty easy fix. I did mine last weekend, got a lower seal kit from NAPA for $11, rented a pitman arm puller for $6, and 20 minutes later the leak was completly fixed.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed the leak last weekend , however, it wasn't the powersteering box ,it was the pump leaking on to the box and the fluid dripping off the bottom of the box............the rebuild kit for the pump/resovoir combo was $10 ...............easy fix , thanks for all the responses ................I learned something though, things are not always as they appear................I can park anywhere again , no leaks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.