Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying my first Chevelle SS, going to pick it up Monday. I'm going to drive it from Florida to North Carolina. Its a numbers matching 70 Z25 with the L78.

I have one question since I've never owned a car older than a 1988 model. Do I need to put in some lead additive to the tank when I fill up with gas? Also, I assume high-test is the best gas to use, too?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a search. Didn't find a definitive answer, but since its the original heads, I'll probably use additive.

Jimmy

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think you'll find some varyin opinions on that one. One that I would respect alot would be from BillK.
However, I have a '70 myself and have to add the lead. When I don't for a while i get some valve clatter. When I keep up on it, say every 3 tanks, I don't hear any clatter. Coincidence, mabye, but I'm not taking any chances. In the not too distant future I'm going to get the heads done with hard seats, but till then..I'm goin STP!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'm with Fred, I would really respect Bill K's opinion on this stuff, his opinion on the lead is here: http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/000627.html
Check It Out!
Good Luck!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've seen hundreds of heads but only a handfull with valve recession, and of those
just one or two exaust valve seats eat up. It seems to me that if the lack of lead additive where the cause it would be consistant and all the exaust valves in the head/s would be damaged.
Stick with the highest octain you can get because it won't hurt, until you can find out about the engne. It has been thirty years and if that motor hasn't already been modified then it going to need to be soon
Harley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll let you know how she does on the drive up from Florida.

Jimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.