Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
i m ready to get new front springs to optimize launch , i m undecided between the moog 6332 271 lbs rate or Moroso trick spring 260 lbs rate ?

the car since the lightweight hood , battery in the rear , aluminum water pump sits much higher than before and i think it does not transfer weight like before ... imho
let me know what you guys think or use :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Hi guys
i m ready to get new front springs to optimize launch , i m undecided between the moog 6332 271 lbs rate or Moroso trick spring 260 lbs rate ?

the car since the lightweight hood , battery in the rear , aluminum water pump sits much higher than before and i think it does not transfer weight like before ... imho
let me know what you guys think or use :thumbsup:
I use the 250 lb. Moroso trick springs with a coil cut out on my heavy Monte Carlo. I would think it needs the same or lower rate spring then I use Oliver.

Reactions: oliver69

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
I use the 250 lb. Moroso trick springs with a coil cut out on my heavy Monte Carlo. I would think it needs the same or lower rate spring then I use Oliver.
:cool: I tried the Moroso Trick Springs in my '69 Chevelle -- the front end looked like it had been lowered 5 inches from stock...

Jon: Can you post a picture of your Monte with the trick springs? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
:cool: I tried the Moroso Trick Springs in my '69 Chevelle -- the front end looked like it had been lowered 5 inches from stock...

Jon: Can you post a picture of your Monte with the trick springs? Thanks.

28" tires on the front 32" on the back

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm using Santhuff 200# springs .
DON'T guess!
Unless you like swapping front springs.
Have your car weighed with you in it and roll up to the back of your door on the scale.

I did it and had to send the 1st set back as it looked like I was in 4wd.
Click on my user profile to see them and the Calvert front shocks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have 250# moroso in my 69, transfers very well but sits a tad low. The springs are going on 5 years old with a ton of passes on them, may just be getting weak. I've been pretty happy with them. Front end weight was around 1950 or thereabouts (can't remember).

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Santhuff 250s, but Oliver your a tad far to be guessing. Get the car weighed, and buy once.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Oliver, do you still drive your car to the track? If so are the roads straight and level or does it involve hills/mountains and curves? What other changes have you made to the front suspension? If you drive any distance on roads that are not straight and level it would be worth speaking to a trusted manufacturer so you get a setup that will work and is safe.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car is still street driven , actually i like to drive it as often as possible to a cruise nights or on curvy country road and even in the city :) so i guess it would have to still be a little compromise.

This is how it sits on 235 60 15 ..

To me it looks like it could even drop 2"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone once told me the definition of compromise was where neither party was satisfied.
i m just unsure of how is the ride with the Moroso trick springs ...? maybe having DA front shocks could limit the bounciness and still be safe :confused:

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i m just unsure of how is the ride with the Moroso trick springs ...? maybe having DA front shocks could limit the bounciness and still be safe :confused:
Oliver, I drive my car all over the place without bounciness. it's in your front shocks?
it should rise then slowly come down as the pass progresses .

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's in your front shocks?
what do you mean ?

i have Viking DA front shocks , before i had 90/10 but did n tot like them too much for street driving (made the front end rise too quick )

my only concern is street driving with a drag racing spring (or a too light spring) if it will make the car unsafe and problematic as also Steve R pointed out in a post.

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
I drove my car on the street with drag springs front, and back DA shocks, and an ARB. It drives fine, I know it's not a corner carver, and drive it as such. Don't drive faster than your angels can fly.....Except at the track, let them get a head start.:D

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,270 Posts
I went with '65 Olds F85 6 cylinder springs, fornt and rear...Moog 6230 I think are the fronts. Had to cut a coil off them cause they sat really high. But I have a sb with al heads, intake, water pump, radiator and headers...sits nice now. 6" of front end travel. Also using the Viking da shocks in the front, double nutted control arms etc...front is very loose. ARB in the back, no sway bar in the front.

It actually drives pretty nice...I worried about it being bouncy, but its not at all

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
what do you mean ?

i have Viking DA front shocks , before i had 90/10 but did n tot like them too much for street driving (made the front end rise too quick )

my only concern is street driving with a drag racing spring (or a too light spring) if it will make the car unsafe and problematic as also Steve R pointed out in a post.
Oliver talk to Ramey at UMI Perf as he should be able to give you some advise

But I would think that the Front Viking DA Shocks adjusted for Street mode
with Trick Springs should be okay for driving on the street IMHO

then readjust them at the Track for Racing mode
so the Frontend comes up when you want it to, then slowly backdown JMHO

I run the Front/Rear DA Vikings in Race mode all the time for the Street/Track
the Frontend does not bounce or dip/dive on either side
and I get a firm stable ride out of them on various types of roads
however I do have the Viking CoilOver setup up Front

The Trick Springs should lower the Frontend ride Height
but watch out you do not lower it to much
as you will have to be careful when you turn your Front Wheels going into a driveway
with a little bumpup to fast the tires will be pushed up into/onto the upper Lip of the Fenderwells

Ask me how I know this !,
with the Viking CoilOvers I dropped the Frontend of my car by 2"
ground to Front Fender Lip was 27" went to 25" with coilovers

See pics in my "Garage" Click on the "2011 at the Line" Pic
the 4th pic is how high the frontend was before
and under "Exterior" 2 pic shows after lowered

Reactions: oliver69

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah i have to find a place to weigh the car , here everything car related is complicated. i searched for a public weigh station, seems that all are out of business since the '80...its just is not as simple as in the Us.

what happens if i can not weigh the front , which spring should i go with ? :(

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Do you know anyone with a road race car or a local club racer? If you do they might have a set of scales that go under each wheel.

What about a local dump or recycling yard, they often weight the trucks on the way in and out to figure out the size of the load.

Good luck.

Steve R

1 - 20 of 31 Posts