Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joel; If $95.00 isn't to much to spend on a relay I've got a simple solid state multi-function relay that will do exactly what you want. It's made by Omron and is available through Grainger and many other electronics suppliers. It involves only one 12v power source and very minimal wiring. Very reliable relay, been using them for years in industrial applications. Should take hard bumps and temmperature extremes no problem! When I figure out how to post a scanned drawing I will post it. Maybe someone can help me out posting the drawing. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
So joel wants a latching relay that is toggled ON/OFF buy the same control line? Or can it latch with a simple loop back wire? you can use a SPDT switch that is (ON)-ON-(OFF). The (..) meaning "momentary".

Didn't mean to butt my nose in. just saw it moving to the bottom and wanted to help.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I didn't catch what he really wanted.But if he wants to activate a relay ON and then OFF with a single push button there is a simple circuit that uses a 555 timer IC.I can get the schematic if he wants.Can you find the post where he asked for it.The total cost would only be the cost of a simple relay and the IC ,about $5 from radio shack.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
SuperSport, if you're referring the the 555 "one-shot" circuit on the page you linked, that circuit will not meet Joel's needs. That's why I had originally posted the "debounced toggle" circuit shown in the original post. It remains in the "latched" or "unlatched" condition indefinitely after you press a single normally open momentary switch (which is what Joel has on his vehicle). All the parts are easily obtainable from Radio Shack and far less than $95!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relay I'm suggesting is a simple easy to wire relay that will toggle itself between N/O and N/C just by a momentary closure of two of it's terminals (which is the type of switching Joel is talking about using). Plus it will default itself to N/O when power is removed. Sure you can build something cheaper with parts and pieces from Radio Shack but I'm only suggesting it because most people don't have the ability to build electronic circuits to do the kind of latching Joel is talking about doing. Mike

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
I need to check here more often.

You can do the following:

Control a relay with a momentary high signal to stay on. You can also turn the engergized relay off with the same swtich. -edit- you will still need to toggle it off, unless the +12V source is ACC switched. If this is a problem, then the concept in general is rediculous. why not use a simple toggle swtich. Is 100mA being used by a relay coil that much?

One DPDT switch that is (ON)-ON-(ON) and one more wire for the loop back.

If you want me to put this down from a nodal standpoint in this thread I'll do it. Or I can fax my doodling to you. I just drew it up to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 02-25-2002).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
I appreciate all the responses. It might be an exageration to call me a Novice at Electronics. I understand a few of the abreviations/symbols that I see in the diagrams that several of you have been kind enough to post, BUT, not all of them. Unfortunately, I suspect that leaving a part out or using the wrong part will make the circuit ineffective.

supersport396_2000, I may be able to follow your diagram with a little help. Is the 6V? in the top left of the diagram an input to, or an output of, the 555 Switch? What does the "wavey line" mean? Is the "thing" in the middle of the diagram a relay? Does the 555 Switch just have 4 wires/connections? Does touching the Momentary Contact Switch (MCS) cause the 555 Switch to change from no output to constant +12V and then back to no output when I push it again? If so, I think will be able to make it work. I think I can leave my low beams on all the time that the main headlight switch is on. My MCS will just be used to turn the high beams on and off. If the the 555 Switch allows me to go from constant +12V to no output I can use it to trigger a 30 amp relay to supply power to the high beams.

It seems that they are fairly simple circuits for people with a good knowledge/understanding of electronics. I don't understand why there isn't a circuit (or chip) available, that requires no assembly. From what I have read, it seems like there would be many applications to use this type of circuit. In addition to what I want to do, it would allow you to contol the same "load" from several different locations using multiple momentary contact switches. It appears that several people have tried to find a retail source for a "fully assembled circuit" but so far no one has found one, at least not a a reasonable (IMO) price.

For anyone "new to the topic/post", I want to use a Momentary Contact Switch (original cruise control button on end of turnsignal) to alternate my headlights from high to low beam.

Thanks, Joel

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The 6v is suppose to be the input power to the 555 ckt.But since your probly going to use a 12V auto relay it would have to be atleast 10V or higher.The wavy line is a resistor that drops the voltage down to the 555 ckt.The 555 ckt has one connection for the power+ one for the ground- one for the output to the relay and one for the trigger from the CC switch.The 555 will switch (the relay)from ON and stay on to OFF and stay off with every push of the button on the CC switch.When you turn the headlights on the power will go from the headlight switch and power the 555 and also power one of the relay contacts that are connected to the lowbeams.When you hit the CC switch the 555 will switch to ON and the relay will be activated,disconnecting the lowbeams and connecting the highbeams.When you turn the headlight switch off the power to the whole ckt will be disconnected so there won't be any risk of draining your battery.I know you can use a 555 in astable mode and convert it to Bi-stable meaning 2 states(ON/OFF),but i don't know exactly how to do it and i havn't found any schematics on the net either.But if the 555 ckt doesn't work you can also make the same kind of circuit with some transistors,caps,resistors and some other stuff.But i'll keep looking for the 555 bi-stable ckt.Also i'll go to radio shack tonight and pick up a 555 and experiment.I have done it before but by mistake

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
Something to intertain:

Go here for the write up, scroll down some. http://control.gsnu.ac.kr/~f007dan/cicuit/page9.htm

It also has a monostable version of Super's 555 setup. It'll just leave the lights on for a set amount of time though.

Just a link I had. You could look into doing this with some kind of a flip-flop circuit. You'll have to pay some money, as mentioned above, to find this "all in one box" people would just as soon use the RIGHT switch and not be restricted to a factory cruise control switch.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 02-26-2002).]

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yeah Mike i seen that one.The one on the right would work fine,but i was looking for something more intergrated so it would be easier to build.Thats why i was wanting to find that same ckt but only with the 555 ic.If there is anyway i can use an ic in a ckt ill do it in a chevy heartbeat.

[This message has been edited by supersport396_2000 (edited 02-26-2002).]

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monostable circuit isn't what you want! You can't retrigger it. What you need is a Bistable flip flop that uses 2 transistors. It will change state and remain in that state each time a momentary closure of it's circuit is made. Can probably build it for less than $15.00. I'm going to put one together at work just out of curiousity, I should have all the parts. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually BB_Mike I did'nt see your earlier reply with the two schematics. The circuit on the right is very similar to the circuit I'm going to build. That looks to be a "bistable" setup with the caps charging and discharging alternately. Need to go to radio shack to pick up a couple PNP's later and I'll try to throw it together.If radio shack has the 555's I'll pick up a couple of those to mess around with too! M22,Mike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
SuperSport;

Make the one-shot circuit with the 555 and then feed the output of it into the clock input of a D flip flop with the flip-flops Q_Not (the inverted output) output tied to the flip-flops D input.

Take the Q output of the flip-flop through a 20k resistor to the base of a NPN transistor with the collector connected to the relay coil and the emmitter connected to ground. Connect the other terminal of the relay coil to +12V.

Make the 555 time long enough to debounce the button push but not so long as to have a huge delay between switching. Probably 1 or 2 seconds would be right.

You can also try to advoid the 555 by connecting the button to clock input of the flip-flop. Put a resistor between the button and the input and then put a cap from the input to ground. That should help de-bounce it.

The D flip-flop is the only IC I can think of right now that's simple and does this.

This circuit could have 2 IC's which would be twice as good.

Peter

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I messed around trying out a circuit I had in mind and it seemed to work OK. I also built a circuit like the one in the pic that BB_MIKE had posted and it works fine too! Actually easier to put together than the one I dreamed up! Grand total for the parts including a relay was $4.18. Seems like it's very stable and switches with the quickest momentary contact I could make. Biggest problem I can see would be how to package it for use in the car. I was going to breadboard it but instead I soldered on leads to all the parts and put heat shrink over them. You could just bundle up the hole mess of parts and wires into a small package and stuff it all into a small projects box and just have the leads you need coming out through a grometed hole! Anyhow it's very simple and cheap to build. You will probably need to switch a second higher amperage automotive type relay with this circuits relay. I don't know what the amp draw would be on a set of headlights but the relay I used is only rated 1A. I didn't have time to play with the 555's! Mike, M22

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
OK
i finally found my 555 circuit i was looking for.It uses either a 556 or 2 555 ic's.

I see that Peter F. already said what it was but here is the circuit.

Its a D type flip flop. Here is the link http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#19

Give it a try and let me know if it works.

You only need one input ,ground or pos depending on which was you put some diodes. One push and it switchs the output to either pos or neg,then back and fourth as you push the button.You only need one output though,one pos going to a relay.

[This message has been edited by supersport396_2000 (edited 10-17-2002).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts