Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I might have one more opportunity to test the PP engine one more time before I switch to one of my SBC's.

Here are the changes I am thinking about
Air Gap vs. Oval Port Team-G single plane
Moroso trick springs (for sure)
3 test carbs
1050 2 circuit Dominator
850 FST VS
The Mighty Demon 1000 I used last time

I know the single vs dual plane has been beat to death here, but I have plenty of low end torque so I am thinking it might get some more in the mid-range and top end. If the weather looks good there is a later in the day test and tune coming up in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I might have one more opportunity to test the PP engine one more time before I switch to one of my SBC's.

Here are the changes I am thinking about
Air Gap vs. Oval Port Team-G single plane
Moroso trick springs (for sure)
3 test carbs
1050 2 circuit Dominator
850 FST VS
The Mighty Demon 1000 I used last time

I know the single vs dual plane has been beat to death here, but I have plenty of low end torque so I am thinking it might get some more in the mid-range and top end. If the weather looks good there is a later in the day test and tune coming up in a couple of weeks.
My guess is the dominator on the air gap is gonna be fastest

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you run the exhaust open add collecter extensions if there not already on.
Try playing with the valve lash if you have time.
I have some 3" Walker Bullet mufflers on the car now that are 18" long, if I run the car without them it slows down. Also have messed with this cam lash years ago and did not make much difference with this grind.

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Its sort of like " camming up" so so heads or " de camming" too large heads which us lunkhead poo boyz used to do, working with only what we had on hand.

Very curious to see results indeed! You'll use the same carb I hope, the 1000 cfm MD? I know that open and 180 plenums give carbs a different fuel signal. I might suggest that you use a smaller cab on the open plneum to keep things "equal". Dual planes shrink carbs, open plenums "grow" them it would seem. In my mind's eye, I;m thinking a 800 cfm carb will keep the velocities up in the 360 as does the 1000 in the 180.

Best to use the same 1000 demon tho, scientifically speaking.

Again, really curious to see how it reacts?

Hey man, those peanut port heads are junk cast iron scrap , until you bolt them atop an 11 sec bracket 454 shifting easy. There they become "precious metals!" !

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Wow, very close the the best pass ever with the 496 in my 69 Malibu. 60', 1/8 ET, 1/4 ET & speed - all very close to your times.

I stopped tuning on it because I got tossed for breaking 11.50 with no roll bar. Ran an adjustable restrictor plate from there on out to slow to 11.50.

This was a 496, 781 heads, 228/238 Isky hydraulic roller, 3.42 gear, TH400 with 2800 stall.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Its sort of like " camming up" so so heads or " de camming" too large heads which us lunkhead poo boyz used to do, working with only what we had on hand.

Very curious to see results indeed! You'll use the same carb I hope, the 1000 cfm MD? I know that open and 180 plenums give carbs a different fuel signal. I might suggest that you use a smaller cab on the open plneum to keep things "equal". Dual planes shrink carbs, open plenums "grow" them it would seem. In my mind's eye, I;m thinking a 800 cfm carb will keep the velocities up in the 360 as does the 1000 in the 180.

Best to use the same 1000 demon tho, scientifically speaking.

Again, really curious to see how it reacts?

Hey man, those peanut port heads are junk cast iron scrap , until you bolt them atop an 11 sec bracket 454 shifting easy. There they become "precious metals!" !
Right . The peanut port heads are junk .
They're junk because they aren't big . Bigger is better . Allways. lol

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Kripes, I wanted MORE POWER, but Mark Jones almost used PP heads for my build. He would have for a 3.07 geared car, we went oval due to 3.31 + a 3:1 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Kripes, I wanted MORE POWER, but Mark Jones almost used PP heads for my build. He would have for a 3.07 geared car, we went oval due to 3.31 + a 3:1 1st gear.
Funny thing I do have a nice set of 781 oval port heads that are flowed and put down great numbers, but just does not sound as cool as peanut ports.

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
For sure! Some kind of "mighty mouse" shit going on there! Port torque galore!

PS I had asked Mark to put a set of FULL DRESSED 049s on. Even though it wasnt a drag car, I paid for the porting work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I was looking for the cam in the current Crower catalog - I don't see a FDP-274 grind for a BBC. Maybe this is a discontinued part? I see a FDP-274 for a Ford engine. The smallest they list in the catalog is a 282F which is 238/242 and .510/.515

I guess if you want to go smaller you get a custom grind or get a hydraulic FT cam these days?
Something like the 1293-1294 that second has 225/233 and .515/.536 first one slightly smaller.
Either one of those seems like a good street cam for a PP 454.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I was looking for the cam in the current Crower catalog - I don't see a FDP-274 grind for a BBC. Maybe this is a discontinued part? I see a FDP-274 for a Ford engine. The smallest they list in the catalog is a 282F which is 238/242 and .510/.515

I guess if you want to go smaller you get a custom grind or get a hydraulic FT cam these days?
Something like the 1293-1294 that second has 225/233 and .515/.536 first one slightly smaller.
Either one of those seems like a good street cam for a PP 454.
Crower did discontinue that cam this year when I looked. Mine is .547I and .590E 242° and 252° duration on a 105 LCA. Might be off a little on the numbers but it's pretty close. Should have bought the bigger cams back when I got this one as where I worked at I could get them for $97 bucks.

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
I've always liked Crowers #1330 solid mech cam, but never ran it. Seems similar to that one.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Funny thing I do have a nice set of 781 oval port heads that are flowed and put down great numbers, but just does not sound as cool as peanut ports.
I'll trade you some junk Vortec heads for 'em. ;)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts