Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the track today and ran the car, It was HOT (90°) and everyone slowed down so the car ran the best of,

[email protected]
1.51 60ft
7.04 in the 1/8 mile

So I am pretty happy with that. I did do the corrected on wallace calculators and it does show with the cooler weather it will run high 10's. If I do use this 641 again I plan to test the Vortec L-29 heads id better weather.

Funny thing was a guy had a nice 71 Chevelle with a 461 BBC that was almost the same as my 461, the difference? he was running Procomp Sq. Port heads with flat top pistons. He did manage a 11.992 with it today. I will take peanut ports any day over those slug heads.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
That's a good day ! 11.16 on a scorcher .
Seems like you should be able to get In the 10's
What was it you were runnin for a cam intake carb ?
You said dude with 71 had flat tops .
What are you using ?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good day ! 11.16 on a scorcher .
Seems like you should be able to get In the 10's
What was it you were runnin for a cam intake carb ?
You said dude with 71 had flat tops .
What are you using ?
Cam is a Crower FDP 274 Solid cam, Intake was my Air Gap and that was with my 1000 Mighty Demon. I have flat top TRW 2377 flat top pistons. I do have some 12:1 Venolia's that would really wake that engine up but if I were to use them I would want to run my ported 781's. Wallace says 11.03 on a good day and I do think it's very possible.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cam is a Crower FDP 274 Solid cam, Intake was my Air Gap and that was with my 1000 Mighty Demon. I have flat top TRW 2377 flat top pistons. I do have some 12:1 Venolia's that would really wake that engine up but if I were to use them I would want to run my ported 781's. Wallace says 11.03 on a good day and I do think it's very possible.
You dyno that engine?

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Nice.
What was your 1/8th mph? 93/94?
Do you know what the other guy's combo was? Maybe he spun off the line.
Not beating up on your pass or your comparison to his heads vs the peanuts ports!
A spinning 2.0 60' could ruin any pass.
Sounds like a successful safe day and nothing broke!

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
That's an excellent ET for that MPH, at last to this non racer. NICE RESULT! Dang, my old 427 run the car to 118.75 in perfect 50 degree air, but NO WHERE NEAR 11.15! Well dressed 074 alums , a fresh Ultradyne 276.284 SFT, and the same Holley 850 I have on new MJ atop a winters-163 back then. Was estatic about he MPH, but not so much about the 12.24 ET.

Bet you werent shifting at 6800+ either!

·
Premium Member
7,009 Posts
👍🏻 Nice working combo!
Curious how the L-29 heads will work.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
The car does appear to have a hood chassis setup and uses the power it has. My car I considered average, not nhra stocker tech, but back on the 90’s I ran 11.20’s at 118 and change with a best of 11.05. My 60’s were a little slower I was 1.53-1.55. 540 hp at 3675 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Great results. That’s a well set up combo.
To think back, we used to take those truck peanut port heads off and get the $ for the scrap weight!
I forgot - what does the car weigh?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I remember you ran that Crower cam before and mentioned it did not RPM well and you later checked spring pressures and found them too low.
Correct me if I am wrong here.

Did it rev well or short shift 5500 or so and stay in the TQ?

Excellent ET for sure and I do like track testing better than anything.
105 LSA :)
That would make most people say no to that cam in a 454+ engine.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice.
What was your 1/8th mph? 93/94?
Do you know what the other guy's combo was? Maybe he spun off the line.
Not beating up on your pass or your comparison to his heads vs the peanuts ports!
A spinning 2.0 60' could ruin any pass.
Sounds like a successful safe day and nothing broke!
96 mph in the 1/8. The other guy with the Chevelle was dead hooking and 60's were in the 1.8 range as I remember. Thanks, always a good day when nothing breaks.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's an excellent ET for that MPH, at last to this non racer. NICE RESULT! Dang, my old 427 run the car to 118.75 in perfect 50 degree air, but NO WHERE NEAR 11.15! Well dressed 074 alums , a fresh Ultradyne 276.284 SFT, and the same Holley 850 I have on new MJ atop a winters-163 back then. Was estatic about he MPH, but not so much about the 12.24 ET.

Bet you werent shifting at 6800+ either!
I was short shifting the car as it makes for a better ET and that's what counts. The car will rev over 6500 but if it's not making a ton of power why rev the crap out of it so I shift it at a lower rpm. My car has no fancy suspension parts on it, just some old SSM lift bars and CE 3 adjustable shocks. Mark made me a believer for using peanut port heads. It will be interesting later this year if I get a chance to re-test this 461 with the L-29 heads so se if they hold the same magic that the SBC Vortec's have. Hold on to your hats I have another good 406 that I might slip in next week to test in June. Dang I need to learn how to use muli-quote.:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sounds like the velocity of those peanut port
Heads made more torque in the right place and that's why it beat the car with the big ports ?? Cars weigh about the same?
Gearing ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was short shifting the car as it makes for a better ET and that's what counts. The car will rev over 6500 but if it's not making a ton of power why rev the crap out of it so I shift it at a lower rpm. My car has no fancy suspension parts on it, just some old SSM lift bars and CE 3 adjustable shocks. Mark made me a believer for using peanut port heads. It will be interesting later this year if I get a chance to re-test this 461 with the L-29 heads so se if they hold the same magic that the SBC Vortec's have. Hold on to your hats I have another good 406 that I might slip in next week to test in June. Dang I need to learn how to use muli-quote.:)
Short shifting the car at a lower rpm and thats where the car was fastest.
Seen that before. Well didn't see it. Read it .
Young guy was running a stock 66 chevelle with a 396 4 speed in 71 . He was shiftin the car over 6600 and comin up with about a 15 second ET .
Old timer said to him . Where you shiftin that car ? Young guy said 66ish . Old guy says try shitin it at 63 .
So he did. Car ran Lower 14's .
Then he went back and shifted the car a little over 6 grand and came up high 13's .
Crazy .
I guess it's because shifting at a lower rpm put him in a higher torque spot when the rpm dropped for the shift .
So much for shifting a couple hundred over max rpm .
What was your rpm at ET ?
Where in the rpm range does your engine see max hp ? I suppose that would be somewhat of a guess on your part because you havnt had the engine dynoed

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Short shifting the car at a lower rpm and thats where the car was fastest.
Seen that before. Well didn't see it. Read it .
Young guy was running a stock 66 chevelle with a 396 4 speed in 71 . He was shiftin the car over 6600 and comin up with about a 15 second ET .
Old timer said to him . Where you shiftin that car ? Young guy said 66ish . Old guy says try shitin it at 63 .
So he did. Car ran Lower 14's .
Then he went back and shifted the car a little over 6 grand and came up high 13's .
Crazy .
I guess it's because shifting at a lower rpm put him in a higher torque spot when the rpm dropped for the shift .
So much for shifting a couple hundred over max rpm .
What was your rpm at ET ?
Where in the rpm range does your engine see max hp ? I suppose that would be somewhat of a guess on your part because you havnt had the engine dynoed
For a dyno session that cost $450 I can get a bunch of races in and adjust the car form there. I am old school and build stuff and race it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it don't work you with don't use those parts again or figure out why they did not work. For me it's all about having fun with the car, so far last year and this year have been fun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts