Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a larget connector (2-3" wide), which routes wires into the fuse box on a 70 SS.

Since there is a jumble of wires, does anyone know if the male connector is to the fuse box, or to the dash harness.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You may have gotten a hold of wrong yellow wire. Can’t think of a connector that feed things to the fuseblock. There is a large connector that comes from the fuseblock that goes to the harness for the rear lighting. It has a yellow in it, along with a green and brown. That yellow is left turn signal/brake light. It will look like a short to ground as long as the light bulb is installed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks. The connector has about 10-12 wires connected to it, and it looks like there is a slot which looks like it should attach to the steering column.

Back to the drawing boards!!!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That’s the turn signal switch connector. The connector I referred to is above the fuseblock. If there’s nothing plugged into the fuseblock, then your next step would be to unscrew the fuseblock and pull it away from the firewall. Maybe something happened behind it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

My first shot is to split the distance on the yellow radio wire within the harness just to the left of the gauges, where it goes behind the dash and then test to ground. Figure that it is a 50/50 shot at a shorted wire on the dash, or the fuse panel.

Is the fuse panel easy to pull off, and what should I look for? And, what should I watch out to avoid?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's held on by a couple of screws in the corner. The battery needs to be disconnected.
I'd look behind the fuseblock to see if the radio wire was touching something.
I'd measure the yellow wire again to see if the short is gone after the block has been disconnected.
Not sure what to suggest after that. You know from there it heads up through the harness wire bundle with a lot of other wires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,

Thanks for all your help. I finally fixed the problem. It was a short in the Map Light Mirror. Apparently, all of the ACC spades, go thru the radio circuit. Once I unplugged the additional circuits going thru the ACC, the radio circuit was then grounded.

Appreciate the effort and support.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Maybe I have to type more clearly. Originally I asked:
"Is there anything plugged into the fuseblock?
Not sure if there is something else that goes to that fuse on a 70."
So the map light was plugged into the fuseblock??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the Radio fuse controls the ACC Fuseblock. But, the wiring diagram has only that yellow wire back to the fuse block, and no Map light was on the diagram.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts