Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all driver side valve covers on Chevelle L78 396 Engines have the "slant", regardless of whether the car came with standard drum brakes or power brakes????

Looking at photos of my '67 Chevelle L78, it is very hard to tell in the photos, but I could swear both valve covers matched (in other words no slant at the rear of the driver side cover)...and my '67 Chevelle came from the factory with the standard drum brakes. I have been told that all L78's had the slant, and maybe that's the truth since in 1967 there were so few made for the Chevelle ('67 Corvettes certainly had the slant!).

For my engine project, I want to make sure the covers I buy are "correct" for the '67 Chevelle with manual drum brakes.

I know there are a few members on here with 1967 Chevelle L78's that have drum brakes...please take a look!

Thanks much!

John

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well 80 lookers so far, and not one reply. I've decided to go with my gut and buy regular covers without the slant, as I needed to make a decision.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the tall metal stems for the plug wire holder on the rear on both sides "curved" or should they be straight? I'm finding some variance on re-pops...and even on original covers too!

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,371 Posts
:cool: "The General moves in mysterious ways." The Tonawanda Plant assembled all the Chevrolet Big Blocks -- lots and lots of big blocks. In 1970 (as an example) all Camaro, Nova, and/or Chevelle BBCs got the low rise Intake Manifold from the Corvettes, and they all got the slanted Valve Cover on the Driver's side. Why? I don't know. After all every engine was assembled to an existing order with a Suffix (use) Code - so, they knew that a specific engine was going into a Camaro OR a Nova OR a Chevelle, so the plant could have (in 1970) used a high rise Intake Manifold, but they didn't. The plant could have used full size Valve Covers, but they didn't (for Camaros Novas, and Chevelles) ... I read all this somewhere, I have no personal knowledge of what transpired at the plant.

Or I could be wrong again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well 80 lookers so far, and not one reply. I've decided to go with my gut and buy regular covers without the slant, as I needed to make a decision.
In 67 the slanted valve cover was used if there was a power brake booster or a power disc brake booster. I've never seen a 67 SS without one of these, but I would think if you had just standard drum bakes you would have regular valve covers. 1967 was the last year for the slanted valve cover to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
820 Posts
All the books I read say all 67 with big block had slanted drivers side valve cover. As for the passenger side two wire, loom, I have a 1967 set that are forward of the crankcase vent hole whereas repops are further back. That original set looks like it helped keep the plug wires further forward, away from the dipstick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All the books I read say all 67 with big block had slanted drivers side valve cover. As for the passenger side two wire, loom, I have a 1967 set that are forward of the crankcase vent hole whereas repops are further back. That original set looks like it helped keep the plug wires further forward, away from the dipstick.
That is correct for 67's, it was in the middle of the valve cover which put it forward of the vent hole. 68 & 69's had the stand directly below the vent hole which would be farther back.
Ray

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally was able to locate a really nice re-pop set of valve covers with the correct stem location on the passenger side! Not easy to locate! I don’t agree that all L78’s in ‘67 had the driver side slant....I’ve seen standard covers on manual brake cars like my ‘67 L78, and my new covers are standard/no slant. Heck, even with a brake booster I don’t think you need the slant on a Chevelle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts