Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember about 10 years ago a man in Tampa was selling a yellow 64 SS.It was parked on the side of 41.I never met the guy nor did I take the phone # down.I really wasn't interested because I just bought a 69.I did stop and look though.It appeared all stock and was unrestored.Had a 4speed and a 327 with a factory aluminum high rise and corvette valve covers.I did not know about any special 64 Chevelle at the time and thought the engine probably was replaced.I remember he was asking a high price.
I heard of one documented 64 L76.Anybody hear of this?Any details about the car?Could there be more?Could the car I seen for sale many years ago be one?Wish I could go back in time!

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Dean-
L76 that's the 365hp/327, right? I've heard rumors they put that in a 64 but the highest hp 327 64 I've seen is a 300hp version. I've seen 3 of them total, mine(well not anymore) and 2 at Pomona. If I remember right in 64 the 327 was only available with a 4 speed. I'm not up on RPO codes so if you could fill me in I might be able to help out a little more.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,
You are right.The L76 is the 327/365hp.It had a wild solid lifter cam,11.25:1 compression,aluminum high rise with a holley carb,and an optional transister ignition(K66).I also heard that they came complete with Corvette finned valve covers!Quite a motor!I believe if any of these cars turns up documented they will be worth there weight in gold!Forget about the Z16!I heard they only made a handful of these,but that is only rumor.I would like to hear more about this car if anyone knows anything.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Hmmm...my great aunt ordered a 365 hp 327 64 SS Chevelle when the engine option was announced (my dad persuaded her a little). After she'd ordered the car, she got a notice from the dealership (Ray Chevrolet in Chicago, I think) that the option package was no longer available. She settled for a 300 horse 327 instead. Maybe a few slipped by (GM/mag. press test mules) but I don't believe there were any of these cars intended to be sold to the general public.

·
Registered
85 Posts
..no listing for RPO L76 in CHEVELLE Production Reports for 1964. Does not mean there weren't ANY built... if COPO method existed in 1964 (haven't heard anything about COPO's before about 1966-67) maybe that's how they could exist.

1965 Z16 is another matter. From the...

"CHEVROLET 1965 MODEL YEAR THOUGH AUGUST 31, 1965 PASSENGER OPTION PRODUCTION FINAL 1965 MODEL YEAR REPORT"

RPO
===
Z16(2) SPECIAL SPORT COUPE & CONVERTIBLE EQUIPMENT

CODE (model availability for RPO)
====

OPTIONS (# of vehicles RPO WAS installed on)
=======

MODELS (# vehicles RPO COULD have been...)
======

(2) Z16 ENTERED PRODUCTION FEBRUARY, 1965 PRODUCTION LIMITED TO 201.

The above footnote was actually on the Chevrolet reports. NOT something I added.

Thanks, Len

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-01-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Dean-

I know this topic's been dead for a while but I just read something last night in Mike Mueller's Chevy Muscle book. This is what it says:

first a part of a caption:
...At the top was the mysterious 365 horsepower L76 Corvette 327, a true performance powerplant that was officially offered then quickly canclled before true production got underway. No more than a handful of these 64 L76 cars were built.

A couple of pages later:
Reportedly the A-Body chassis made it difficult to equip the 365 horsepower L76 327 with large enough exhaust manifolds, which helped kill the project before it ever got off the ground. A certified street killer, the L76 small-block featured a solid lifter "special-performance cam" 11:1 compression, a big 4 bbl carb on an aluminum intake, and a dual snorkel aircleaner. According to rumors, a prototype L76 Chevelle ran 0-60 in six seconds.

Well, that's what I found I thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it with you, at least it explains why 70L34's great aunt only got a 300hp version!

Have a Great Day!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,602 Posts
Bob Macy of Post, TX had a red '64 L76 Chevelle at ACES Chevellabration in '98. It supposedly is the only known survivor of a handfull of cars built. von

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
von,Bob Macy had a 65 Z-16 at the Chevellabration Show and also at the Maryland Show two weeks later. Sorry, It was not a 64 L-76 car.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,602 Posts
Chev64, I'm talking about 1998, not 1999. I saw what he had at CB'99. He had the Z-16 and a '64 L76 Chevelle there in 1998. von

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,602 Posts
Chev64, I'm talking about 1998, not 1999. I saw what he had at CB'99. He had the Z-16 and a '64 L76 Chevelle there in 1998. von

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
von, Sorry, I didn't make it in 98 so I stand corrected.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

W

·
0 Posts
Boy this is confusing. All of the data I have does not support a 64 chevelle with a 365 motor. Nor is there one listed for the 64 corvette, even though early on it was an option, then stomped on by GM. I understand a few corvettes may have escaped, but I'm from Missouri, show me one documented car and I will go for it. Until then, the 65 vette which I know was available with the 365 and maybe the 64, never saw one and I ahve seen a ton of restored cars, stands as the only cars with the L-76 option.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's what I DO know:

My father DID own a Tuxedo Black '64 Corvette with the 365hp/327, factory a/c, both tops (hard top and soft top), 4 speed, with 3.08 posi. Man what a car! This car was the real deal. This I know does exist.

As far as the L76 Chevelle, well...in the August '99 editon of Car Collector Magazine, towards the back of the magazine, it lists back issues that you can buy, and under the heading Chevrolet, it lists 1964 Chevelle SS "L76"; 3/95. Anyone have any back issues of this magazine?

Could this possibly solve the debate?

------------------
Rob Clary
'70 LS-6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold Member #85
Interested in COPOs, Yenkos or other dealer built muscle cars then go here:
ortrackm.missouri.org/~yenko

[This message has been edited by Chevy454 (edited 07-07-99).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I built the car that Bob Macy had at the Chevelle Convention. It was a red with white interior 1964 L-76 clone. By everything that I researched, GM offered this option from Feb 28th, 1963 through April 7th, 1964. The car that I built was an 03C (3rd week of March) build and I used parts dated around March, 1964. Most authorities beleive that around 7 cars were built, tested and then sold as GM progam cars with 300 HP 327 engines. I have heard of several cars that came with high redline 7000 RMP tachs, but these cars had 283 engines, so GM just used the tachs that they had laying around...I heard that Bob Macy sold this car and I was wondering who owned it now...Thanks, Scott Gaulter sgaulter (at sign) specialtygraphics.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.