Team Chevelle banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all... Looking for your opinion on what lift system to purchase.. My wife is being good to me and paying for it... have to take advantage relatively quick.

I'm getting tired of laying on my back under jack stands and looking for alternatives in lifting up my Chevelle (and my Buick GS). Safety is obviously a concern.

I was on the Kwik Lift Website and they have a nice red powder coated version that seems relatively easy to use, all manual with the use of a floor jack. All four tires are on a rack. Have the ability to lift the tire easily to change brake pads/suspension work/clutch swaps etc. Access allows side to side and front and back.

One of my friends mentioned the Quick Jack BL- 7000SLX - Seems like it works well, scissor jack/hydraulics, supports the frame, wheels hang down with no support, not sure how sturdy it is. It also gives you the ability change brake pads/suspension work/clutch swaps etc. The only drawback is access. It appears I'll have to enter through the front or back, not side to side.

If you have anything else worth while to suggest, I would appreciate it.

Kwik Lift
Premium model
Cost: $1799.00 (not sure on free ship)
https://www.kwik-lift.com/product/kwik-lift-full-package/

Quick Jack BL-7000SLX (7000 lbs)
Cost: $1490.99 (free ship)
https://www.eastwood.com/quickjack-...MIvqGd5dHt3QIViqJ-Ch0ShgymEAQYAiABEgIIQvD_BwE

Thank you,

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,132 Posts
Mike,
I have a qwik lift. They are.frequently found on Craigslist. Paid $600.00 for mine and that came with two of the bridges. Found it very convenient to use as the entire underneath is accessible and if you want to take a wheel or two off just insert a bridge. I removed my entire rear end while Chevelle was on the qwik lift. I also have 8 ft ceilings so not much ceiling height but works good with the qwik lift. Next project is to mount a winch to the qwik lift so car can be placed on the lift when not under its own power.
If you decide on the qwik lift used is definately the way to go. I saw them priced from $500.00-$1,200.00 and all prices in between.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ditto. I have one as well that I picked up on Craigslist. The thing is awesome. :thumbsup:

Mike,
I have a qwik lift. They are.frequently found on Craigslist. Paid $600.00 for mine and that came with two of the bridges. Found it very convenient to use as the entire underneath is accessible and if you want to take a wheel or two off just insert a bridge. I removed my entire rear end while Chevelle was on the qwik lift. I also have 8 ft ceilings so not much ceiling height but works good with the qwik lift. Next project is to mount a winch to the qwik lift so car can be placed on the lift when not under its own power.
If you decide on the qwik lift used is definately the way to go. I saw them priced from $500.00-$1,200.00 and all prices in between.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Don't rush into it there are more than 2 types of lifts out there.So make sure you check it out thoroughly.There are also low rise scissor lifts out there that will pick a car up to about 3 feet high.

Then there is also this one that is similar to the ones you posted.:
https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/low-rise-scissor-lifts/lr-60/

There are also these types that I think may be better than the low rise lifts.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/...gXofNeVlThUrsPwq29JNK2kvvt5hqfzMaAo4lEALw_wcB

These types aren't priced too much more than the ones you're looking at.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,132 Posts
Looks to me like a major drawback of one of those scissor type lifts is access to the underneath of the vehicle. A great portion is blocked by the lift. One is not going to be removing a transmission or many other components while supported by the scissor lift. Might be nice for wheel and suspension work or bodywork.

Reactions: lucifershammer

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
You may also want to look at these, they seem to have great reviews. I was going to get one, but decided to build a garage addition and get a four post with the jack trolley bridge. These Danmar lifts are also available through Costco, on sale periodically as well.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/

Reactions: blm

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
I have a Kwik Lift, only because I don't have the ceiling height for a full height style lift. Bsasically, I like it. The basic KL came with one bridge, no casters. I bought the casters (which allows complete mobility) and a second bridge which allows adding some additional height using bottle jacks and jack stands.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you're looking at $1700, I'd suggest a couple hundred more and get a 2 post lift. It depends on your garage. My ceilings are 9'6. I got a Greg Smith 9000 lb lift a couple years ago. I can't raise the car all the way up but good enough to make everything easier. It's easier to stoop a little rather than getting up and down. A stool with wheels adds to the ease of use. I've got about 5'+ under cars.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback all..

I have low ceiling height in my garage which is why I'm looking at this type of lift. Last week I had a line on a used Kwik Lift for $900 in Connecticut, although it was a little beat up (and yellow in color) which was not all that appealing.. My wife took a look at the pics and thought it didn't look safe which is why she offered up a new one. I'll be looking at the links provided here and keep you posted.

At 56 it's getting harder to crawl around under these cars..

Again, thank you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,132 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a narrow garage with low ceiling height so Quickjack was a perfect solution. I bought BL-7000SLX from Summit and I'm very happy with it. It lifts the cars with ease, locks in place and gives me just enough height. It's very sturdy and I feel much better crawling under the car now than when it's on jackstands.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I have a narrow garage with low ceiling height so Quickjack was a perfect solution. I bought BL-7000SLX from Summit and I'm very happy with it. It lifts the cars with ease, locks in place and gives me just enough height. It's very sturdy and I feel much better crawling under the car now than when it's on jackstands.

I just purchased the 7000SLX with truck adapters, can't wait to get mine in a couple weeks. Do you have any pics of using yours under the Chevelle?

·
Registered
364 Posts
You only need a 8'8" for these Eagle lifts.
Yes, but if you can't get the car high enough to stand under it and work, those extra few feet don't really help you, unless maybe you are doing body work and want to get the rockers eye level. I have 9' foot ceilings in my shop, and I have a Bend Pak P6, which is a commercial grade lift that a home mechanic couldn't wear out or break in a 100 years. I got mine used through a friend for a sweetheart deal, and it's not REALLY made for my setup, but it WILL work. I've had it for about ten years now. The only downsides are that the units are heavy if you have to move them, and the platforms get in the way of the frame rails. If you are doing something like replacing a brake line, you have to set the car of jack stands
DSC05709.JPG
and lower the platforms out of the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts