Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I use Krylon "Rust Tough" Semi Flat Black Enamel paint in a spray can to repaint various items on my '69 SS, such as pedals, alternator brackets, power steering pump, fan, etc). When I use this paint, it tends to "fisheye" real bad. It refuses to lay down smooth. I always wipe my parts with a paint prep cleaner before spraying. The parts usually have some black paint on them before I spray them.

What am I doing wrong? Is this paint incompatible with the paint already on the part.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
shouldn't be a problem if preped right, krylon is not really a high quality paint, it has losts of solvent and little pigment, I use all eastwood products, they make a semi gloss( under hood black) that really works and looks like original, should prime before painting, one light coat let it flash off then put a heavier coat, www.eastwoodco.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
Jeff; Try a final wash with soap and water to get rid of the residue. Spray a couple coats very light, just a mist. Take your time and let dry between coats. Then hit it with a couple thick coats. Seems like a first heavy coat will fisheye bad. tom

·
Super Moderator
12,690 Posts
Jeff,
I have used many a can of Krylon semi-flat and never really had a problem with it. I usually use a scuff pad with prep sol first. Hope this helps.
BillK

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Try # 1613 Krylon its a perfect match for GM satin black and sticks to almost anything, Ive used it for years, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wasted an entire day trying to paint my plastic dash insert with Krylon gloss black. It fisheyed like nothing I've ever seen !!!I sanded, cleaned, and painted - it fisheyed. Removed that paint with lacquer thinner, repainted, fisheyed,then did it all again. I finally went and bought testors model paint for plastic, it worked first time. Seems fisheye is a problem with Krylon sometimes - other times works great. ???temp/ material/ humidity ?????who knows???

------------------

·
Registered
527 Posts
Etch the surface with a scuff pad, and wipe it down with "wax and grease remover" This can be purchased at any auto paint store. Sometimes the paint may have to be removed, or primed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.