Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 El Camino 327/300hp engine. I was woundering if anybody could tell me what parts I would need to make it the 350hp engine. Also if you have some of the parts I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
the L79 cam is probably what you will need most to change it to a 350 h.p. The specs on the cam ( from memory) are .447 lift on both the intake/exhaust and i believe 222 deg of duration at .050 over. Nothern auto Parts sells these cams for $60.00, there web adress is //www.naparts.com/ You can either download there catalog or recieve one by mail. Not sure if the heads are different or not.... have to check on that, but i would imagine you would be better off if you had the bigger valves. hope this helps

------------------

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am pretty sure that the 350hp version had 11.00to1 compression with 2.02 valves and the 300hp had 1.94 valves. The carbs were different the 350hp had a 585 cfm single line holley and the 300hp had an Carter AFB I believe. The cam shaft was different like 68 Chevelle said. It also had an aluminum intake. I got all this out a 67 Chevy manual from the Dealership. If anyone wants to know about 67 Impala's , Chevelles, Camaros, Chevy 2's, Corvettes or Corvairs let me know. The book is a big binder that says Chevrolet finger tip facts on the front. I think it came out of a salesmans office in 1967.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Cruz,
Previous info is right on, however don't forget the intake. It is an aluminum piece casting # 3852570 also used on Corvettes. It used a chrome oil tube and filler cap just like the Corvette. It may be hard to find and if you do find one expect to pay $$ (only 6,000 of these engines were put in Chevelles & Elkys during the 65 Model year). Also don't forget the chrome dual snorkle air cleaner and chrome square valve covers similiar to those used on the SS Impala. One of the sources I have also states that the L-79 327 used a four bolt main block. Hope this helps. mgg (gold #209)

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 07-21-99).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a bit more info for you, was reading my Chevelle book in bed this morning and found some stuff. The 350hp came with 11:1 compression like said above, the 300hp was 10.5. I also think the 350hp came with 2.02 as well as better flowing exhaust manifolds with a factory aluminum intake.

------------------
JT
71 SS 350 soon to be Vortec 355 then a 454
www.angelfire.com/co/KellyMotorsports

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.