Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a friends El Camino today with a 454. It has an HEI distributor in it and when its running it has a pretty loud knock. Sounds like a lifter but, it appears to be coming from the distributor. I could even hear it when it was being turned over before starting. Sorry I don't know any details on the internals of the engine but, I thought maybe somebody has had a similar experience?? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,151 Posts
There are 4 spring hooks that hold the cap to the distributor base,its possible for the cap to get knocked off center while working on the engine or trans.Undo the 4 clips screws that hold the cap on and take a look if this is what happened it'll show marks where the rotor was hitting the cap.If thats what it was simply replacing the cap and rotor is the fix,if there are no marks you'll have more digging to find the problem.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll tell him to check that but, the car is running smoothly. Would it run right if this were the problem? It sounds deeper in the engine than that as well. Like a lifter... I've never felt the distributor when a rocker arm is backed way off.
Do you get any feedback through the distributor with a loose rocker?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts