Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coppertop-
I hope you can help me! I have looked high and low for a Cassette/Receiver for my 64' El Camino. I actually purchased a Kenwood from their outlet store only to find out that the knobs are a 1/2" too close together(6"instead of 6 1/2",I think?)
Are there any stereos that will fit right out of the box? I checked out CustomAutoSound and they are way over priced for what I've only heard bad things about.
What would be involved with taking the Kenwood I bought apart and modifying the case to space out the knobs 1/4"out each way?Am I asking for trouble? Any Help Greatly Appreciated.-Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few years ago, while working for a car stereo shop, we modified an Alpine shaft radio to put in a Camaro. We cut out the sides of the chassis, fabricated brackets to extend the volume shaft and tuning shaft out enough to fit the Camaro. We had to do occasional adjustments and I beleive we ended up having to replace the volume control, but eventually, it worked out. Now this was done by a car stereo shop with knowlegable installers and techs, so it depends on your abilities. Most of the CustomAutoSound radios I've seen are cheap junk, but I have seen one that was a Kenwood internally and I've heard they also use Pioneer. I guess it's a roll of the dice dealing with them.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Dan,
You might want to call Crutchfield and ask them. They have several shaft mount type radios in thier catalog, but do not give the exact spacing. I have dealt with them in the past and the tech support is very good. Heres a link: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-JXSz0OvYFc8/ProdMenu.asp?c=3&s=0

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Coppertop
Your large talents and input are needed. Lord, what a party animal on Saturday.
John

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dan,

National Parts Depot & Year One have AM/FM cassette decks that fit without any modifications. NPD has JVC & Kenwood - Year One doesn't state who their manufacturer is. The Paddock has some as well but they are Autosounds which it sounds like you don't want.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Well being an auto radio repair technician, yes it is possible to "move" the shafts. You want to try to get a model with the "adjustable" spacing shafts. But again, as stated, it depends on how careful, how much patience you have with fragile electronics. Back in high school I wanted FM reaally bad, so I went to Radio Shack and bought one of the cheapest, crappiest radios that had adjustable shaft mounts. I carefully altered the case to spread out the shafts even more, moving the volume/tone potentiometer was no problem as it had discrete wiring. Now, the tuner was a bit of a stretch (no pun intended). It had interlocking discs that allowed for shaft movement, but still interlocked with the tuning mechanism (this unit still had permeability tuning with ferrite slugs like the original Chevelle radios). Anyway to make a long story short, I was successful by moving them outwards or maxing them out.

There really is no way to tell if it can be done unit you pop the lid of a new model
which voids the warrantee. Unless your carefull
to see if "provisions" if you will, were made to allow you to play around with the internals.

I would highly suggest you do what was posted above, try to find a source (Cruthfield has stuff, but kinda $$$) that has something closer if not right on to what you need rather than bust a knuckle trying to alter a radio that may have poor results in the outcome. Again, it gets back to how comfortable you are with "projects".

I'm afraid to say it, but YES, custom auto sounds equipment is WAAYY over $$$ for what you get.

John, no parties for me, at work most of the day Saturday. Nothing like a nice day out and I'm at my bench.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.! I ordered a NPD catalog a few weeks ago,just hasn't got here yet. I'll hold off on disecting the Kenwood till I see what they've got. I wouldn't have any problem moving the knobs on the Kenwood,I have plenty of"Duct Tape and Bailing Wire"!-Ha Ha!-Thanks Again-Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts