Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
is the dipstick on a 350 threaded or not i am installing some new headers and this must be removed and was curious because i thought i read somewhere that it was to be pounded in any answer would be really helpfull thanks in advance
luke

·
Registered
579 Posts
it is a press fit, pounded in as you mention, depending on the year of the block it can be installed in the deck of the block, side of block just above pan or in the (side of the pan newer engines).

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
don't just pull..
you want to kind of twist it to get it loose, then twist it back and forth while pulling on it to get it to come out.
be careful, tho, because they are easy to break inside the block. if that happens, it's easiest to drop the oil pan and pound the lower tube up from the bottom with a bolt inside the tube to keep from damaging it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok will do
you say drop the pan and i can pound it up i am dropping the pan anyways because i have to change the gasket so would it be easier to just drop it first and tap it up to get it started cuz this bugger is in there pretty good

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
No man its ok we are not prejudiced against indians! Actually I have pulled the remaining part of the tube out after a guy broke one off by screwing in a tap and pulling on that.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dude...what the F is a dumb question? I just learned something too! Thanks!!

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
when you drop the pan and get ready to pound the tube out, don't just start wailing on the tube. stick a 5/16" bolt in the tube and tap on that.
after you put the headers on and you want to put the tube back in, if it goes in tight, just stick that same bolt in the top tube and gently tap it back in with a hammer.
oh, yeah- there are 2 pieces to that tube. the bottom piece kind of falls in the hole and guides the dipstick past the crank and what not in the pan, and the upper tube gets pushed in on top of that one. so don't freak out when you pound the tube out from the bottom, and only half of it falls out..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i got it all done finally by about 2:30 lol i wasnt gonna quit till it was done and now it is i yanked that old stick out with a pair of vise grips and didnt worrk about hurting it cuz i had a new one anyways thanks for all your responses to my question
luke

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
when you put the new one in use a piece of soft(er) metal tubing that fits tight around the tube and hits the relief (or stopper that goes tight to the block surface) and tap it in, i use a little thread sealer left over from head bolts, it lubes the insertion and seems to make them more removable later on. also, if its curved on the exit end, you may have to do some grinding and fitting to get it to slip over and give you a straight shot at it (its one of those easily forgotten little things that are easier done on an engine stand before rather than after engine installation)...or, just use a bigassed screwdriver and wack it in :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
vise grips rule :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts