Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a kill switch,i was planning on tapping a toggle switch into the purple wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter.I have a 10 amp switch. I was going to get a 35 amp but didn't.Will this work ok?Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say It would be best to wire the switch up to the distributor power wire that way it turns over but it wont have any spark to fire it up. the theif trys to fire it up and you will hear it also it would make him think that theres no kill switch so he would would not look for one. opposed the the other way

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on putting the switch in the glove box, and then locking the glove box when i wanted to use the switch.Figure the theif isn't going to waste time looking in the glove box.(maybe im wrong) Is a 10 amp switch enough?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I once had an 1984 Pontiac 6000. Totally plain jane. Nothing exciting about that car. At all.

I think the glove box on it was locked for something like 2 years straight. It was completely empty and I forgot it was locked.

I came back to my car late one night to find my crappy car had been broken into. The dash and glove box were competely destroyed. The glove box door was rent in two. Because I had locked it, the would-be thief thought I had something of value in there. And so he was determined to get in. Much to his disappointment.

If you lock it, they'll want into it all the more. Find an other place.

My kill switch simply involves removing the wire from the coil to the distributor. I have hood locks in place of hood pins and I just lock the hood down. Crank but no fire. Works for me.

Michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is exactly what i did. It took alot to get me to cut the purple wire (being original and all) but after i did it i was happy with the result. I got a 20 amp switch and seems to work just fine. I shoved the switch threw a little hole to the left of the glove box. It is like a type of supporting beam or something for the dash its self. It had two perfect holes i just put the switch threw one and it couldn't be in a better place. I can reach up and find it no problem but you would really have to know where to look if you where a theif.

Good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 62 vette that I just rewired with a kill switch. I put the switch in the power wire to the distributor, that way it will crank and fire while you have the switch in the crank position and dies when you let go of the switch. If the thief hears it fire but die then he will most likely keep trying, giving you a chance to hear whats going. The likely hood of them spening the time to try and figure out what is wrong is unlikely. Another thing to keep in mind if your running an HEI is to keep the switch close to the ignition switch. The farther away you put the kill switch the longer the wire and you can have a voltage drop at your distibutor. Thats not a problem if you running points though, because your dropping the voltage at the ballast resistor anyway.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
guys......... yes any kill switch is better then none .......

but armed with a test lite & a couple of jumper wire's w/clips it doesn't take long to find the lacking leg 30 seconds ..........

I recommended adding a fuel cut off ... that way IF they manage to steal it ... it die's in the middle of the street a block away where hopefully they bailout an just leave it

but that wouldn't stop a flatbed ...... may I recommend a GOOD Insurance policy :yes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with Mark, I have always preferred a fuel cut off for the reasons he says. But if you don't want to go with a fuel cutoff I prefer killing the power to the Dist. It's true if the thief comes armed with a test light and jumper wires he could wire around it, but most crack heads that want to steal you car don't come that prepared if they don't know there's a switch in the first place. If you kill the power to the starter you know instantly that there must be a kill switch, my way the car starts and then dies and the guy thinks it's just hard to start and keep running when cold. I know this works because I have tried to start my own car and forgot that I had flipped the switch, after 2 or 3 tries I would remember, oh yeah you flipped the switch dummy! No car is theft proof if somebody want's to seal it bad enough. The switch in my vette was already there when I bought the car, so when I rewired it for the HEI I kept the switch.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
guys,
i remember back in the eighties i put a kill switch in my 78 k5 blazer(purple wire). driving one night truck started backfiring, lights flickered, ran like crap. found out too much juice through the switch. fried it. go with the dist. cut off, that's what i plan to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts