Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moved to tech forum -

This topic is based on an observation...... I typically go to my local weekend car show about once a month. I always try to bring my sons and one or two kids from my neighborhood. These kids are clean cut, well mannered and extremely polite. Actually they must be or they wouldn't be around me. Anyway, as I spend time around these kids I share stories about the car culture when I was their age and how it wasn't uncommon for someone with a cool car to approach kids and elaborate on what I was looking at, and sometimes let us sit behind the wheel. But now when I take them most of the people hang together in little "middle aged" groups with little more then a passing glance for the people that come out to see their cars.

Before anyone gets started I know and enjoy the fact that small local car shows are as much a social gathering as anything else but darn. Our hobby can only continue to grow if we keep the youth involved. If you don't like the environmental regulations that some states are proposing try thinking of it this way. Many of those elected officials may not have been exposed to the positive aspects of our hobby as kids. Now when it comes time to make laws concerning cars they simply cannot relate or understand our subculture. By the way elected officials of the future are those kids many don't take 20 seconds to acknowledge now.

Also the tuner cars of today aren't hurting our culture. When we push these kids away because of the differences in our taste in automobiles they are left with others their own age to be influenced by and learn from. I don't know about you guys but I learned a lot by being positively accepted by my elders growing up.

Just my thoughts based on the opinions of children. Also if you are offended by what you've taken the time to read ask yourself why.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
This topic is based on an observation...... I typically go to my local weekend car show about once a month. I always try to bring my sons and one or two kids from my neighborhood. These kids are clean cut, well mannered and extremely polite. Actually they must be or they wouldn't be around me. Anyway, as I spend time around these kids I share stories about the car culture when I was their age and how it wasn't uncommon for someone with a cool car to approach kids and elaborate on what I was looking at, and sometimes let us sit behind the wheel. But now when I take them most of the people hang together in little "middle aged" groups with little more then a passing glance for the people that come out to see their cars.

Before anyone gets started I know and enjoy the fact that small local car shows are as much a social gathering as anything else but darn. Our hobby can only continue to grow if we keep the youth involved. If you don't like the environmental regulations that some states are proposing try thinking of it this way. Many of those elected officials may not have been exposed to the positive aspects of our hobby as kids. Now when it comes time to make laws concerning cars they simply cannot relate or understand our subculture. By the way elected officials of the future are those kids many don't take 20 seconds to acknowledge now.

Also the tuner cars of today aren't hurting our culture. When we push these kids away because of the differences in our taste in automobiles they are left with others their own age to be influenced by and learn from. I don't know about you guys but I learned a lot by being positively accepted by my elders growing up.

Just my thoughts based on the opinions of children. Also if you are offended by what you've taken the time to read ask yourself why.
Well said, Im young {not a kid} but my youngest friend is 10 years older than me

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry - I meant to post this in the Chevelle tech forum. Moderator could you please move this post?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I'm only 20 and my dad brought me up around horse power. I'd have to say what got me started on classic cars was our boat. We have an off shore 36 ft race boat with twin BBC's and the sound those engines create is unbelievable. I grew up on that boat, every weekend, i couldn't wait for my dad to prime the engines and let them loose. When you have two engines running right next to each other it creates i hum that just grabs me. Even cruising my chevelle when i pull up next to someone on the highway with exhuast and V8 i can hear it.

Once i took my first ride in a chevelle i was hooked and it was what i had to have. It was like having my own boat, just i could take to anywhere!

I think you're right, we need to get kids invovled, this is why our great Chevelle club (Nor-Cal ChevelleCaminos) puts family events on such as The Run Through The Canyon, a great event.

This thread should be moved to bench racing though...

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Same here. I'm 44 and most of my friends are at least 50ish. I was raised in a time when I wasn't old enough to drive one but was old enough to ride along in several muscle cars. The older guys in our neighborhood all had some type of muscle. I rode in and learned about, Chevelles, GTO's Novas, Mopars and AMC's. That is the reason I own one today. And yes, I include my kids in the hobby as much as thier interest allows. They get bored at a show that lasts all day but enjoy the local Friday night cruises. My son is 15 and one day I hope to help him with his own car whether it be atuner or good ole American muscle.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Excellent topic,

We do need to do whatever it takes to get the younger generation(s) interested in cars, or anything mechanical. Seems that so many kids nowdays are content sitting around on their butts watching crap on TV, or playing video games. You will notice that there is quite a bit of attention given to kids by NHRA and the drag racers themselves in the pits, etc. The kids growing up now need to be exposed to things mechanical, mathmatics, etc. to make them well-rounded.

My older brother and cousin took me to my first drag race in 1958 in Phoenix, AZ. (yeah, I know, old fart). Don Garlits was there with one of his early Swamp Rats, 392 Chrysler, unblown with either six or eight Stromberg carburetors. Lots of noise, and smoking the crappy tires all the way through the 1/4 mile. I was 11 years old and I was hooked! Bought a 1935 Ford a couple of years after that and worked on it almost daily all the way through high school. Put in an Olds V-8 and got more of an education working on that car than would have received at a Tech School, in my opinion.

Let's keep our kids interested in cars and especially car hobbies.

·
Registered
313 Posts
http://www.takeakidtoacarshow.com/

Above is a link for those that would like to get involved.
I agree - we all need to be less busy with ourselves and share with those around us.

Boy Scouts of America has an Auto Mechanics merit badge - sign up and be a merit badge councilor, I am.

I have a son that will be 19 in a few months - I can say he has been wearing muscle car shirts long before it became "hip" to do. He is a fine young man and metal and motors have shaped who he is.

Next time you have a car show set aside an area for the younger generation to learn - tear apart a motor and spread it out on the ground (watch for the big eyes) hold a wash and wax clinic, don't be afraid to speak to the teenagers - even if they have long hair and a crooked ball cap - they might have something good to say - or will look up to you as a mentor

Good Subject

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I am a high school teacher, and it is the case that young people's socialization is too often heavily influenced by their peers rather than by adults. This is due to many factors in our society, mainly economic in my opinion. Both parents typicaly work and young people have a lot of independence and freedom, more so than probably any other time in the history of the world.

The drag strip is one place (and there are few of them) where people of all ages come together, and that is very cool. I strongly encourage my students who are into cars (some of them are into muscle cars and others into imports) to go to the dragstrip and race.

I was heavily influenced by my uncle, who drag raced and raced circle track, and by my grandfather who influenced my dad and his brothers and me with his work ethic (punch in before 6 and punch out after 6, or don't work here). I don't think a lot of young people have that influence today. But hot rodding (whether muscle or imports) is one place to make that connection.

I'll stop there. I could write a whole book on this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I totally agree. Kids should be involved from the very beginning. I am only 30, my first Chevelle was a 72 when I was 17. (not long ago, I know). I have recently picked up a 72 again and I plan on involving my 2-year old daughter in the rebuild.

Nothing is greater than a girl who cannot be fooled at the mechanic's shop. Get them involved, whether boy or girl. They are the future of the hot rod/musclecar culture. With all the hybrids and cookie cutter models that are coming out of Detriot, it will be harder and harder to find aftermarket support for these pieces of American history.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Moved to tech forum -

This topic is based on an observation...... I typically go to my local weekend car show about once a month.

Anyway, as I spend time around these kids I share stories about the car culture when I was their age and how it wasn't uncommon for someone with a cool car to approach kids and elaborate on what I was looking at, and sometimes let us sit behind the wheel. But now when I take them most of the people hang together in little "middle aged" groups with little more then a passing glance for the people that come out to see their cars.

Before anyone gets started I know and enjoy the fact that small local car shows are as much a social gathering as anything else but darn. Our hobby can only continue to grow if we keep the youth involved. .

This aggravates me at car shows. I feel like if you're there to show the car, at least talk to some of the observers that have an interest in it. I meet kids and adults everywhere I go whether it's a car event or the supermarket. If someone asks about my car, I will take the time to talk to them about it.

I have tried to talk to more than a few at shows that acted like I was bothering them. Same goes for the track. I will say though, there are still some good people out there as I have met a few of them also.

·
Registered
706 Posts
people hang together in little "middle aged" groups with little more then a passing glance for the people that come out to see their cars.

This one aggravates me, too. When I'm at a show or cruise, walking around looking at the rides, I try to engage people in conversation, get them off their lawn chairs... maybe ask em about some feature or detail. Most do respond...

If I'm by my car, I generally stay "up front" and talk to everyone who stops to look.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My wife is a high school teacher and the kids are definitely into muscle cars. I tell her that it is very important for people to remember these cars. It is just rare to seem them driving around.

She has taken a 69 Camaro that I use to own and my 66 Chevelle. All they ask is when will she bring another car. I am just about to buy a Plum Crazy 'Cuda and the first place that car goes is to the high school (besides my initial cruise of course).

Anytime you have that opportunity to take them around the block or start up a big block, it is worth every penny to see the reaction on their face. Truly priceless. Heck even the old guys get a kick. Their is a guy in my neighborhood who would not give me the time of day until I drove by him in a 66 Chevelle 396 and heard the cam.

Too much fun.........

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Dean for moving the post.

Guys I must say that I'm delighted by the responses. The true spirit of our hobby isn't dead. This topic has been heavy on my heart since I moved to this community years ago. I often get questioned by people who see me out in my Chevelle concerning why they don't see me at the local car show more often. And I tell them quite frankly it's because of the "tone" of the gathering. There are even members of this forum that have probably read this whose cars I've approached and/or complimented at shows after driving up with my own car, that haven't said more then thanks to us or literally turned away. I always wear a smile ecspecially when I'm with my family and our Chevelle. Also I'm only 5'9 so I don't think I've intimidated anyone. I'm just tired of having to use stories from my past when talking to kids about these muscle cars. We should be able to say come on let's go to the car show and you'll see how positive this environment STILL is.
For those of you with the wonderful stories about the positive impact that this hobby has had in your lives and children you know keep the stories coming. Also I don't think that the intent is mean spirited but more often a lack of willingness to open up and have a positive impact in the lives of others. Often we are proud to have someone compliment us on our cars (which can be taken in an instant) but imagine the pride you'd have being complimented on your character.
Remember opinions are what others think of us. Character is who we truly are. One you can influence with paint and rims. The other..........well that takes a little more.

Thanks guys for taken the time to indulge a 40 year old kid who refuses to comform to my world and let go of how things used to be.....

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Nothing is more fun for me that a kid walking by no matter where I am and looking at my Sprint. I can't ell you how many times small kids just go crazy over it. I get everything from thunbs up to wow Dad look at that one! This might be just sitting in the parking lot at Home Depot or the gas station filling er up.
As a kid my Dad was a auto body man, and his side business was custom upholstery. Many of those custom jobs were show cars. So each year the local car club would ask him to be the interior judge at their yearly show. Which made it cool that he always brought my brothers and myself along! I grew up watching him rebuild total wrecks into the family car, putting great interiors in cars that were just cool as all get out. I just wish I had been a bit older so that I could have learned more as by the late 60s he got out of the business. But cars have always been a part of my life and I just love em.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think having the kids really being excited about the older cars is the best part about a show! I do understand that some have large sums tied up in paint and restoration but sometimes it blurrs their vision about haveing youg ones looking!
I remember taking my kids and their cousins to The Street Machine Nationals back when it was still in Duquoin IL. I have taught my kids to respect other peoples cars and not to touch. I remined them and the other kids. There are no belt buckles, watches, rings or braclets. Oh and no purses for the girls!
Well a few times they would be looking into a nice car and would get that "move away from the car kid" from the owner. I flat told them if they didn't want kids looking at their car, JUST TAKE THEIR CAR AND LEAVE! Or rope it off! (as some had done) which I will pas on by without a second glance!
Otherwise they were going to look til their little hearts are content!
I or my wife were constantly observing and reminding them not too close and do not touch! We always said that first as we approached the cars loud enough to let the owner know we respected his hard work and were watching the kids!
There were some great owners that actually opened the cars to allow them a better view inside. One said he understands and found that just by opening the door he avoided a lot of fingerprints and small scratches! (smart man)
A few even allowed the kids to sit behind the wheel for a picture, not for us but for themselves!
Just my observation on shows and kids whom without shows will just fade away.:)

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
How would it be taken if a guy was to sit on the hood of his car with his feet on the bumper? :D

The one thing I don't like is people who put the signs on their car that says "Don't touch" or something like that. I know it's pretty much common sense to not touch someones car. It just seems to project a stuck up kind of attitude. At least to me anyway.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Always nice to see the younger folks getting interested in the older cars

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
My ten year old son goes with me to many local cruise ins. He's become very good at identifing all types of muscle cars, not just chevelles. He has taken to drawing hot rods with flames that just blow me away. For a ten year old kid he makes some of the coolest flames I've seen...someday we may be putting his flames on the chevelle.
He suprised me last week when he told me his school project was on my chevelle. I'm now more involved in his school work because of his passion for my hobby. It's a great time to bond when we are enjoying the same things.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.