Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just left my local GM dealer in search of a kick-down switch for a TH400. The parts counter employee showed me a switch that mounts to the gas pedal on the inside of the car. I have also seen a kick-down switch mounted on the carb. The car is a 67SS Chevelle with a Q-Jet. Where was the kick-down switch mounted on a 67SS, and what are some of the names of dealers that sell it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my 67 SS396 with TH400, the kickdown switch is mounted on a bracket which attaches to the rear carburetor stud on the driver's side. I think that later models used the other type of switch, possibly when throttle cables began being used.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
CC67 is correct on that. The kickdown switch is on the Carb.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
403 Posts
How does the switch attach to the pedal?? Is there a bracket that has to be put on?? I need to do this to my elcamino as I just put the turbo 400 in it and it was a turbo 350 car.
Thanks guys.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
313 Posts
Per the 67 assembly manual, the switch is carb mounted with a bracket, switch, assorted nuts and bolts, and a wiring harness that picks up 12 volts at the wiper motor and runs down the side of the trans to the solenoid. I went to Chevy and none of the parts listed were still available. The switch they have, (same as the aftermarket suppliers) is as described above, intended for the gas pedal. I would recommend looking at the 70 assembly manual to see the mounting hardware and wiring needed. You can probably make your own wiring harness.
john

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Check your local junkyards, my brother bought a '68 Impala the other day, whole car!327-275hp., turbo 400, 10 bolt,A/C, solid car,drove it home.It has the carb. mounted switch on it,still works.He has it for sale if anyone is interested.I think you need the carb. mounted one for your '67.There are aftermarket ones available from Summit, and Jegs.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.