Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I just swapped a L6 for a V8 in a friends '63 nova. after getting everything on the starter wont turn. it will with a screwdriver bridging the termanals, but not by the key. the same thing happend to my chevelle a while ago when I did a motor swap.
is this common or am I just missing something obvious?
thanx for your help
Justin

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive got a brown wire running to the S termanal and the main batttery cable. ive got it to bump once it hasnt since.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
JWagner has it right, the big purple wire goes on the terminal nearest the block.

Tom

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
The brown wire goes to the R terminal and the other end is hooked to the + terminal of the coil on a points type ignition system. It is to bypass the resistor wire during starting to give more voltage to the ignition.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we dont have a purple wire. we have brown and green. I will look to see if one of them is spliced into the purple wire.
thanx
Justin

·
Administrator
16,168 Posts
Justin, with the wires disconnected from the solenoid, have someone hold the key in the start position while you use a testlight to see which one is hot, then place that one on the S terminal. It should also be twice as large as the resistor bypass wire.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.