Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When they were showing the horses earlier, I told the bride to look at 8 Belles, she was beautiful, what a shame.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
So if a horse breaks a leg they kill it right there on the track?:confused::angry:

Horses cant heal broken bones?!?!?!

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
at the risk of getting this moved to CE, i gotta point out that the horse that died was the one that Hillary Clinton said she was rooting for- it wound up in second place, crashed, and had to be put down..
the really funny part (not funny like "ha ha", just funny like "isn't that ironic" ) was that they were joking about that on Morning Joe on MSNBC on friday morning, and Joe Scarborough said something about what would happen if that horse crashed and needed to be put down, and how would that reflect on her campaign.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
So if a horse breaks a leg they kill it right there on the track?:confused::angry:

Not compound fractures of both front legs. The horse was in extreme pain and couldn't be moved without making it worse so they put her down.:sad:

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Tragic end to a great race. :sad:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Not compound fractures of both front legs. The horse was in extreme pain and couldn't be moved without making it worse so they put her down.:sad:
Remember also that Barbaro (2006) shattered a hind leg during a race, a lot of effort was made trying to save him for stud, and in the end he had to be put down due to complications.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
at the risk of getting this moved to ??, i gotta point out that the horse that died was the one that Hillary Clinton said she was rooting for- it wound up in second place, crashed, and had to be put down..
the really funny part (not funny like "ha ha", just funny like "isn't that ironic" ) was that they were joking about that on Morning Joe on MSNBC on friday morning, and Joe Scarborough said something about what would happen if that horse crashed and needed to be put down, and how would that reflect on her campaign.
:D:(
morphine???

Remember also that Barbaro (2006) shattered a hind leg during a race, a lot of effort was made trying to save him for stud, and in the end he had to be put down due to complications.
:(

This horse didn't even get that chance.:(

This reminds me of a show on Animal planet.
They find these dogs that have been starved and treated bad.
They give they a big bowl of wet food then take it from them and if they bite, they euthanize them.:confused::(

Starve me and take my food i'll bite too.:yes::(

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
Jay, from what I remember is Barbaro kept running and I think that may have had something to do with not putting him down. Now, he was saved and went through operation after operation and then he finally got some serious horse disease and had to be put down.

http://www.horsehats.com/Barbaro.html

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Jay, from what I remember is Barbaro kept running and I think that may have had something to do with not putting him down. Now, he was saved and went through operation after operation and then he finally got some serious horse disease and had to be put down.

http://www.horsehats.com/Barbaro.html
He sure did have a lot of complications.

Horse racing is so boring to me.:boring:

I was just suprised when the news mentioned they euthanized the horse right on the track.

I was wondering if it was a economic choice, but it seems to be a humane choice.:(

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

I'm not a horse expert, but typically, when a horse breaks a leg it's very serious. I also don't think horses lay down in the normal course of life. They stand even while sleeping (I think that's right?). Unlike humans, dogs, cats, etc. that you can immobilize to a certain extent until the broken leg heals. Horses are very difficult to immobilize, plus there heavy weight makes it hard for a horse to keep it's weight off the broken leg. Barbado had one compound fracture leg, 8 Belles had compound fractures on both front legs. I doubt there would be any way for the horse to recover. Pretty sad to see :(. The race itself was a good one though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alan is correct. A horse needs three good legs to stand on, if it's going to have any chance to heal. They carry 60% of their weight on the front legs already. They can't lay down for too long because it restricts the breathing. They will sleep standing up because they have a way of locking the knee joints. They usually only lay down late at night when they feel very comfortable and safe. They are are a food source animal in the wild, and their best line of defense is running so they are always poised for flight. There is no way they can sling a horse with two broken legs because it would restrict the chest too much. They put Eight Belles down right away because it would have been too painful to drag her into the horse ambulance. They brought out two trailers to block the view of the people in the stands. It seems brutal, but it's the most humane thing to do. It's a terrible decision two have to make, especially when you are the owner. RIP.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
He sure did have a lot of complications.

Horse racing is so boring to me.:boring:

I was just suprised when the news mentioned they euthanized the horse right on the track.

I was wondering if it was a economic choice, but it seems to be a humane choice.:(
Well, it used to be boring to me as well, until I watched it more often and learned more about them. I'm from Louisville Kentucky and I thought it was time to learn about the GREATEST TWO MINUTES IN SPORTS. :)

It's sad about the horse and all of the one's that have to be put down. Hell, the Barbaro story actually made me tear up...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts