Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the profile comparison of Keisler T45RS v. Muncie:

- Notice the Muncie is actually taller than T45RS at the case/extension joint

- Originally designed and made in Muncie, IN. The Muncie (est. 1929) and Warner gear (est. 1919) plants were just 3 miles apart!

- Fully synchronized including reverse, Muncie has no reverse synchronization.

- Same weight as Tremec TKO

- Low profile main case design fits many cars as well as Muncie, IN THAT AREA. Fits better than TKO IN THAT AREA ONLY.

- Not as broad as TKO due to single rail shift design but still broader than the Muncie.

- Much larger gears than the T5 equalling much greater strength. DO NOT CONFUSE T45RS WITH T5, THEY ARE GREATLY DIFFERENT.

- T45RS shares the same synchro parts as its big brother T56 6 speed for superior shift quality.

The Keisler T45RS has proven to be a robust and reliable 5 speed overdrive transmission. It is an excellent lower cost option to the TKO for those who do not require the TKOs strength or are working on a lower budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
is this the same t45 as in the 99+ mustangs?
whats the tq rating on these?

aaron

·
Registered
221 Posts
i was considering the t45rs, but the issue for me is the shifter distance. I have a bench seat, don't want to notch it, and I have short legs. I think the tko 500 has more shifter position options?

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Their site says it's only rated at 425 Hp and 425 Tq. It also has a very steep (short) 1st gear - 3.37:1. Also says "NOTE: This transmission is not a direct bolt-in, and will require modification to your driveshaft, crossmember, and possibly your transmission tunnel."

Dan

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I will bang my Muncie till it blows then put the new case, gear set and mid plate. Im not going to chase the vibration THINGY. When i have to worry about gas mileage ill sell the damn car to be honest. Maybe its just me. There is not a person that has done this swap that didnt chase the vibration thing. Am i wrong....?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I'm putting a TKO600 in my 69 right now, I will let you know when I am done.

Jeff
Please do. I sure hope you dont have the problems everybody else does. Did you get the perfect fit so you dont have to cut the floor ?

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Please do. I sure hope you dont have the problems everybody else does. Did you get the perfect fit so you dont have to cut the floor ?
No I went classic fit. My floors aren't original anyways, and I couldn't care less about cutting the floors in my car, so I saved some money and went classic fit.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I will bang my Muncie till it blows then put the new case, gear set and mid plate. Im not going to chase the vibration THINGY. When i have to worry about gas mileage ill sell the damn car to be honest. Maybe its just me. There is not a person that has done this swap that didn't chase the vibration thing. Am i wrong....?
I would say you are wrong. :D

The forum is typically the 1st place guy go to get help with issues with there car. So you are only seeing a few instances. It's the old adage a Happy customer will tell a few a unhappy guy will tell everyone. The Gm A1-A2 kit are a great seller for us and driveline vibration is not a chronic problem. I am not going to say it may not be an issue for some but typically it is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is this the same t45 as in the 99+ mustangs?
whats the tq rating on these?

aaron
Yes and no. It begins as the same tranny but we reman these in house with upgraded T56 synchros, eliminate the integrated bellhousing/front cover and improve the reverse shift system with our patented components. The torque ratings are 350 ft. lbs. for the 10 spline unit and 425 ft. lbs. for the 26 spline unit.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was considering the t45rs, but the issue for me is the shifter distance. I have a bench seat, don't want to notch it, and I have short legs. I think the tko 500 has more shifter position options?
We can actually do the same shifter positions as TKO. :yes:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Their site says it's only rated at 425 Hp and 425 Tq. It also has a very steep (short) 1st gear - 3.37:1. Also says "NOTE: This transmission is not a direct bolt-in, and will require modification to your driveshaft, crossmember, and possibly your transmission tunnel."

Dan
Agreed, the 3.37 1st is a drawback for anything lower than around a 3.73 depending on how the car is equpped. However, we do have a guy running this trans with a 4.10 and loves it! Different strokes for different folks. :D

The same note will apply to any non-factory transmission for any make.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We can actually do the same shifter positions as TKO. :yes:
I might still be out of luck - I think the distance from the bellhousing to this shifter is around 19-20"?

Since my bench is all the way forward, roughly measuring from the rear of bellhousing hump in my floor to the front of the bench seat, the distance is about 16" (I told you I have short legs).

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might still be out of luck - I think the distance from the bellhousing to this shifter is around 19-20"?

Since my bench is all the way forward, roughly measuring from the rear of bellhousing hump in my floor to the front of the bench seat, the distance is about 16" (I told you I have short legs).
Not a problem, we can custom tailor the T45RS case and put the shifter into that location. :D

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
A shame it will only tollerate 425 Ft/Tq, otherwise it could be a viable, and less costly, alternative to the Richmond 5sp w/OD.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That`s where the TKO steps in. Richmond 5 speed o/d $3500!?!? :clonk: Tremec TKO 600 $2195...a no brainer in my book. :yes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts