Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to keislers about a perfect fit, 600 for my chevelle. the car is already a 4 speed. I received a quote of $3195.00. This seemed way high, especially when a number of components are on included because my car is already a manual. When looking at the siite, prices are listed in the 2500.00 range. Anyone have a similar experience? Is there a better solution?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Keisler was a few bux more than the CC5S kit I eventually bought, but Keisler came with the hope of not modifying my trans hump. That sheetmetal turned out to be the most perplexing part of the job for me. I kept putting it off, and did it very last.

That being said, I think my conversion ended up costing me about $6K, by the time I upgraded to the McLeod twin clutch, billet flywheel, Quicktime scattershield, aluminum drive shaft, and spill over into other stuff like adjustable upper control arms, XSPower starter, blah blah blah.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I just talked to keislers about a perfect fit, 600 for my chevelle. the car is already a 4 speed. I received a quote of $3195.00. This seemed way high, especially when a number of components are on included because my car is already a manual. When looking at the siite, prices are listed in the 2500.00 range. Anyone have a similar experience? Is there a better solution?

I am in tech support and not sales but without knowing the name on the quote, I can't offer much advice/answers.
On a 4 speed equipped car, the bell housing is the same but you need to change the disc out to a 26 spline version. The pilot bushing in your crank needs to be swapped out with a bearing and the speedo cable gets replaced as well as the gear that runs it. All of these parts are included in the kit price which starts out at $3195 if I'm not mistaken. If you want just a stock in the box, unmodified shifter, TKO, then the price is in the $2200-$2500 range. That's the price Tremec says we have to sell them for. We take them and modify the shifter location, bench test them, leak test them and gather up the parts on the order and ship everything out.
$3195 sounds about right for a 4 speed to 5 speed swap with no extra parts being ordered (bell housing, clutch KIT, flywheel etc...), did you take the shipping and handling charges into account?

Do you want to give me the name as it appears on our quote and I'll be glad to look it over for you. :thumbsup:

Richard
Tech Support

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Richard,
You are right on target with what I was quoted. Didn't want to sound as though I was complaining, (maybe just griping) just doing my homework. Shipping cost was an additional charge. I spoke with Jeff in sales. Very good customer service, very helpful. i was just caught off guard a little .Thinking $2500 +/- was a complete kit, a swap in a existing 4 speed car would be a little cheaper. I understand after your explanation. I just need to "warm up" to the price.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Just as a tidbit for everyone... Mike Forte is currently working on a entirely new case for the Tremec TKO series complete with an external shifter; his goal is that his "redesigned TKO" will directly fit in the place of a Muncie or any number of 60's era transmissions with no floor mods. He is trying to get the case profile to mimic a Muncie for ease of fitment.

A large and interesting project to say the least. Last time I spoke with him he didn't have an estimated completion date.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Keisler Perfect fit TKO 600

You are correct, the TKO 600 PerfectFit kit for 4 speed to 5 does cost $3195. If you are not concerned with tunnel mods you can deduct $400 from that price and use out ClassicFit shifter.

When you go to the PerfectFit kit it involves specific case machine work and we employ our billet, low-profile performance shifter that sits lower in the tunnel. The PerfectFit shifter also reduces shifter handle travel by 50%!

As with anything involving classic cars, "one size fits all" pricing doesnt really work. You have a base price and then upgrades from that point. It all depends on your expectations and budget.

We have had numerous no-cut installs utilizing the PerfectFit preparation as long as the body mounts are new so its definitely worth the extra money.

Keep in mind Team Chevelle members qualify for free shipping and no charge 1 year warranty upgrade. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Jeff, why don't you post a stock and modified picture of the TKO to clarify what you are describing. That would be an interesting point for all those asking, I think I have see a pic of the modified somewhere. Maybe you could close a deal. Or not(?)

When you say reduces travel by 50%, do you mean at instead of the knob moving X from 1st to 2nd it moves .5X? That would imply it takes 2X the force to move the gears. The shifter is pretty light with the stock, I guess that would be OK...

·
Registered
32 Posts
JazzSS, I have purchased the TKO600 for my 70 Elky SS. It did require some tunnel modification because this is a auto to stick conversion. Tunnels on the auto are smaller. I have spoken to other owners that had 4spd orginally and did the mod and stated they did not need to do any modifications to the tunnel. I will say it is not hard. Anytime when working with sheet metal you just got to take your time. It's not that big of a issue. I will say though I'm extremely pleased with their product. As a engineer by trade it is will built for the big blocks and gives you that extra safety margin. It strong. The support from the folks is outstanding and there is no doubt they are car guys. There is a old saying you get what you pay for and in my view it is worth it. There is a article on the Tech reference section describing the installation of the older TKO. You might want to check that out while you are thinking about it. The new TKO has taken care of the little issues noted in the teck reference series but as I stated that is a earlier model. Good luck in your decision. That fifth gear is wonderful.

Lator Gators
Randy

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Jeff, why don't you post a stock and modified picture of the TKO to clarify what you are describing. That would be an interesting point for all those asking, I think I have see a pic of the modified somewhere. Maybe you could close a deal. Or not(?)

When you say reduces travel by 50%, do you mean at instead of the knob moving X from 1st to 2nd it moves .5X? That would imply it takes 2X the force to move the gears. The shifter is pretty light with the stock, I guess that would be OK...
I also would like to see a pic too....Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses. Keisler's is most likely the one I would choose. The metal work is not an issue, just didn't want to cut on something if i didn't need to. Sounds like there is a chance there won't be any modification needed. The perfect fit seems to be a good piece. I've heard nothing but praises on the overdrive trans. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Mine works great! I have to say though that there is a break in period no one seems to talk about. It now works much better with perhaps 15K miles on it, a lot of it on track days, than it did new.
It was very "stiff" and some what hard to shift when I first got it installed.
Even though I beat on it (RWHP about 330) it hangs together really well. It is a TKO600.

I would recommend the Perfect fit, it was harder than I thought to install but not overly so.

Ron

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
When you say reduces travel by 50%, do you mean at instead of the knob moving X from 1st to 2nd it moves .5X? That would imply it takes 2X the force to move the gears. The shifter is pretty light with the stock, I guess that would be OK...[/QUOTE]

The Perfect fit shifter is just as you described. I told you all this when you were shopping. :D

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Re: Keisler TKO rpm comparison at 70 mph

.64= 2000 rpms at 70 mph
.82= 2600 rpms at 70 mph
Yeah, but try 55mph. OD is too low for my engine (cam) and driveline combo. On the other hand, the 460 OD in my truck is very happy to run at 1600rpm, so it depends on your motor.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Here is the 'perfect fit' for the 66----(would assume 64-67 'A' body cars)

The section with the gold cover looks to me like it has been shortened and narrowed to fit into the tunnel better----also most all of the ugly bosses and tabs have been removed.
It also looks to me like the rearmost shift section has been milled down a bit as well..

A boss for the vibration dampner (ford) has been cut off, and a small 1" cubed tab on the very bottom of the front of the tail housing has been removed (speedbump catcher)

In the area of the last two bolts of the rear shift position is where interferance occurs on the 64-7 cars as the tunnel drops and narrows about an inch right here.

Should not be an issue on the 68+ cars as the shifter hump on these cars covers this spot----so that area will be open anyway.

I am making my observations based on the memory of the trans in my 59.
I'm kinda fond of the modifications and am considering having the trans in the 59 done up the same way. This would move the shifter closer to me as the shifter is now in the center of the car---and some of us may have an idea of just how wide a 59 Chevy is-----That shifter is not even close to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
With regards to the comment on a breakin period for smooth shifting: I probably don't have 100 miles on my TKO600 and it shifts as smooth as silk. Just be nice to it at first. The .64 OD works great for me with 3.73s as the cam in my 402 is relatively mild. One thing that surprised me, but is not a problem, is the gear whine in lower gears with the TKO. Sounds old school! The T56 in my 02 Camaro is quiet as a church mouse.

I love the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts with the TKO600 and the 3.73s. Both together really woke up this old 396/402. Definately a blast to drive! Before, with the Turbo 400 I didn't want to take it on the freeway because of the high rpms. I kept it at 60-65 and no more. Eventually, I got tired of Yugos passing me, so I got the OD trans! Great move. With regards to price, I did carefully compare prices between Keisler and CC5 and when everything was factored in, they were about the same. BTW, I got the regular TKO600 package for a conversion from auto to stick. No problem...........just cut the damn tunnel and be done with it! :)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Re: Keisler TKO rpm comparison at 70 mph

Yeah, but try 55mph. OD is too low for my engine (cam) and driveline combo. On the other hand, the 460 OD in my truck is very happy to run at 1600rpm, so it depends on your motor.
I dont disagree with you, different strokes for different folks as they say. :yes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts