Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a Kansas City built 70' El Camino. I was wondering where the build sheet could be found. I put new door panels on, re did the seat, new carpet, new dash pad and head liner. I didn't find it. I'm guessing the gas tank isn't original, but I didn't check above it for anything. Are there any other places it could be hiding? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Front fenders, inside of and near the top (taped on). Have to remove skirt to get at, might see something shinning light into hinge area. If fenders are not original, then you are SOL.

I had a new 1970 Chevelle SS 454 from Kansas City (I still have VIN). Back in 1971 the fender was damaged and when the body shop removed it, the build sheet was taped to the inside of the fender.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I own a 67 Chevelle SS Convertible with all original Docs but still haven't found the Build sheet. I read that it should be 2" X 8" or so.
Did Kansas put the build sheets in the fenders back in 1967 too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My velle was built in KS city. I haven't found one in mine yet, but the headliner and door panels are still original, so I've still got a chance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
On the FAQ's here it says it should be in the rear seat inside the padding or in the drivers seat inside the padding. Do you have to ruin/dig inside the padding to find this thing or should it be right in from of your face?

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
They didnt put them above the gas tank at the KC plant?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
My Kansas City built 71 Chevelle had the build sheet under the carpet on the passenger side

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
like this :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
My '70 Chevelle SS was built also in Kansas City Mo. I took the door panels back seat bottom and carpet out to look for the build sheet, no luck. Feeling kind of down I was standing at the back of the car with the trunk open and I saw a little piece of paper in one of the openings behind the back seat. I pulled the vertical portion of the back seat out and there it was wraped up tight and hogringed to the top of the back seat on the drivers side

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I have heard people say that some sheets are located in the plastic back of the bucket seat cars. Any truth to this? Do you have to ruin the seat to get at it? I have a set of buckets that are out of a 70 SS 454 car that is still in the my area and thought it would be cool to find the build sheet for the guy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You don't have to "ruin" the seats to get to a build sheet. If one is there, all you may have to do is take the back off the bucket or pull out the rear seat or door panel. The sheets are usually taped, hog ringed or stuffed under a seat spring, inside a fender or maybe just laying under the carpet. It's like a treasure hunt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that the answers here may be pertinent only to the YEAR of the car as to where it is found and what the Build sheet/Broadcast sheet may look like. Can members who have document post a photo and location found?

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
If it helps,I had a 71 K.C. SS and the build sheet was under the front bench seat,up in the springs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
On the FAQ's here it says it should be in the rear seat inside the padding or in the drivers seat inside the padding. Do you have to ruin/dig inside the padding to find this thing or should it be right in from of your face?
Thats where I found two of my Van Nuys, CA ones today.:hurray:

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
They didnt put them above the gas tank at the KC plant?
Here is one on top of the gas tank that was found on a 70 LS6 built in June. I know of other late built 70 Chevelles that had them there also.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
In 65-67's, I have seen some 'broadcast sheets' that just parrot back the same info stamped in the cowl tag and don't have any other data, and other broadcast sheets that have all the assembly line info (engine code, trans code, rear axel code, etc. etc.). I guess both sheets must have existed for each car, but I think which one you will find, and where, is just luck of the draw depending on which assembly line worker was the last one to have it in his hand and where he happened to be standing when he was done with it. But I do know that all Kansas 65's built in March of 1965 have one copy of the detailed broadcast sheet in the back seat and one glued inside each front fender (I seen 3 examples now). I found the back seat copy and one fender copy in my unrestored Z16. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I found two build sheets in the back seat and one above the tank of my KS built 71 SS Chevelle.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Common 70 Kansas City places are insides the fenders as Mike said, and inside the back of the rear seat.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Here is one on top of the gas tank that was found on a 70 LS6 built in June. I know of other late built 70 Chevelles that had them there also.
Thats what I was going to say. I actually know of a few cars that the owner had found a build sheet in his KC car above the gas tank. And like Dave mentioned. One of those owners found one in his fender as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts