Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just picked up a goodwrench 350 sbc. Not ran too hard and not modified. I'm wanting to build it for the street, something that sounds good, gets up and goes, and is very easy on parts lol but not a daily driver.
I was thinking a air gap intake, 650 carb, hei dist. 0.015 steel shim gasket to bump up the compression. Since it has 76cc heads. Maybe a summit or comp cam, lifters, rockers, push rods, and double roller timing chain. New gaskets all around, headers, HV oil pump, and fuel pump. Mini starter and new flexplate. How does this sound and what kind of power do you think it could see? I was told it's the 4 bolt 350/290 or 300hp version. The heads and block both say hencho en Mexico.
Also What cam would y'all go with??

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it is the 290 Hp 350 Goodwrench it has more than enough cam in it since it has the late 1960's-early 1970's 350 Hp 350 cam in it.

What it really needs is a replacement for those totally crummy 76cc heads.....with something like a Vortec head or a decent small runner aftermarket aluminum head it'll make 380-410 Hp with the cam that is in it, depending on exactly what better head you end up with.

The cam. lifters, pushrods, rockers, t-chain is going to get close to 3/4 the cost of a different set of heads, but barely even gain half as much power.

if not Vortec heads, Pro Maxx Maxx 183cc would make a really nice engine. $932 list @ ProMaxx for hydraulic flat tappet, 64cc chamber, straight spark plug hole.
Even the PRoMaxx 185cc Series 1 would also work, it is down just a small amount on flow to the newer Maxx series but $50 cheaper if budget is really tight.

It's all about spending the dollars where it will due the most good.....anything done while keeping the crummy smog heads is not smart dollars spent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks for the advice, I'm just trying to make it a decent engine to possibly sell down the road. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it but if I sell it I want to build it to run for someone and hopefully make some money. I spent 300 on the engine. So I have some room for $$

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hey everyone, just picked up a goodwrench 350 sbc. Not ran too hard and not modified. I'm wanting to build it for the street, something that sounds good, gets up and goes, and is very easy on parts lol but not a daily driver.
I was thinking a air gap intake, 650 carb, hei dist. 0.015 steel shim gasket to bump up the compression. Since it has 76cc heads. Maybe a summit or comp cam, lifters, rockers, push rods, and double roller timing chain. New gaskets all around, headers, HV oil pump, and fuel pump. Mini starter and new flexplate. How does this sound and what kind of power do you think it could see? I was told it's the 4 bolt 350/290 or 300hp version. The heads and block both say hencho en Mexico.
Also What cam would y'all go with??
Find a good set of Vortec heads and sell those, you will have 9.5 compression and a ton more power for cheap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay will do! I'm starting to look right now... just found 492 ABC camel humps with new valves and springs, porting as well and a weiand high rise intake for 400 obo. Sounds like a fair deal???

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I’d confirm what cam came in the engine, then make a decision.

In terms of power, there is no comparison between the Vortec and Camel hump heads. What’s more important, saving a few dollars or making more power?

Steve R

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,172 Posts
When I had my 69 Camaro I bought one of those motors. The only thing I used from it was the short block. I put a set of Performer RPM heads on it with the small chambers, ran a Lunati Hydraulic Flat tappet cam and Crane Gold roller rockers. I had a Performer RPM intake on it with a Holley 750 dp carb. The car was a 4 speed and had 4:10's in it. That thing pulled like crazy. When I sold it the kid that bought it said it felt like it had a BB in it. :D:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I have the same basic engine, but it was the lower hp version. changed the cam and put on vortec heads and an rpm airgap intake. Changed the valve seals and springs in the head is all. Idles at 750-800 rpm but pulls like a bear midrange till 6 grand. Easily 400 hp on tap. Had to fiddle with the tune a bit to get it just right. Great little combo. Go with the vortec heads. No comparison to the camel bump heads. BTW, my stock oil pump give 25 psi at idle hot and 45-50 cruising down the road. You probably dont need to change the pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want to keep it cheap just put this cam kit in it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00172

No need to swap heads or buy new pushrods and rockers. It will be an improvement over the goodwrench cam or the 290 hp cam. Youll have a fun engine with minimal investment.

One other suggestion. Don’t swap the oil pump for a HV pump. Just leave it stock.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you want to keep it cheap just put this cam kit in it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k00172

No need to swap heads or buy new pushrods and rockers. It will be an improvement over the goodwrench cam or the 290 hp cam. Youll have a fun engine with minimal investment.

One other suggestion. Don’t swap the oil pump for a HV pump. Just leave it stock.
I can't see that cam being more than a 25 hp gain with nothing else changed....and that is if he has the 240-250 Hp base Goodwrench and not the actual 290 HP.

That cam is 4° duration @.050 less, nearly identical lift, with just a tighter lobe separation to add earlier mid-range punch than the 350HP/350 cam that is in the 290HP crate engine..

It's no magic bullet for an 8.0:1 compression shortblock.
The poor cylinder heads and the miserable compression ratio are the two main problems with that crate engine package.

I'll agree with the others, there is no need for a high volume pump. Probably no need to change the timing set either.

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Okay thanks for the advice, I'm just trying to make it a decent engine to possibly sell down the road. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it

I would decide that first. If you are not going to keep it you could probably flip it the way it is for around $1000 I doubt that you will make any more profit on it after you spend a bunch of money on parts.

If you want to go through it and use it yourself then it is probably worth fooling with.

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I would decide that first. If you are not going to keep it you could probably flip it the way it is for around $1000 I doubt that you will make any more profit on it after you spend a bunch of money on parts.

If you want to go through it and use it yourself then it is probably worth fooling with.

Just my opinion :)
What he said. Plus, a lot of guys (self-included) would rather buy a used, stock un-touched engine than an engine someone has messed with before. I'm not saying YOU don't know what you are doing, but there are a LOT of guys who modify engines that should never be allowed to get close to an engine with tools in hand. LOL

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Leave it alone and sell it if that is the end goal. Save yourself a bunch of work and get the same profit.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
As said find out what cam it has, start there.
If the port job was nice on those camels why not run it, stick a 270 Isky in it, dual plane 650 ought to run fine.
Wont light the world on fire but should make a around 350hp,sound good and burn rubber.
Sell those heads that are on it, just hard to make any power with them.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,951 Posts
you'd be better off with Vortec heads, but you have to get the matching manifold. regular sbc chevy manifold won't work. They'll raise the compression a full point and flow much better than any of the old fuelie heads.

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
depends on where your at but small blocks don't really seem to bring much cash. I for one wouldn't want someones hotrod motor because hotrods are usually beaten on a bit. A stock running motor would probably get you more potential buyers.
I've got a stock type 350 with a small cam and a 142 blower in a running chevelle, it will probably get sold in the future and I dont imagine I can get close to 2000 bucks. So the plan is to run it until it pops then install the 396. jim

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was told it's the 4 bolt 350/290 or 300hp version. The heads and block both say hencho en Mexico.

I was told by two different machine shops that the best place for those Mexican blocks and heads were in the bottom of a scrap metal dumpster........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input yeah, I'm probably going to do a nice set of vortecs with air gap intake as well. Throw my 650 quick fuel on there. And I'm looking at a few different cams right now. Unsure to which I like the most

·
Registered
626 Posts
Be honest with your self about how the car is going to be driven. A cam thats a bit small will be a lot more fun on the street than a cam that is to big. Ferget about posser cams that are about idle "sound" and go for a proper running engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts