Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I cut some corners and decided to give the Patriot 2" Header a try, I like the fact that they had the 3/8 flange vs Hookers 5/16. I also heard that the Hooker coating had mixed reviews........... And I was not going to pay $350-$500+ for some headers that will prob rust,get scraped, burn, etc.. in a daily driven car, this is no trailer or garage queen..... I called some local coating shops here and they wanted $300+ for coating em.....

So I bought:
$169 Patriot 2" Long tube headers # H8026 Raw uncoated, just bare metal
-$15 Summit Bucks
$154

$5.99 VHT Flame 2000 Primer
$10.99 VHT Flame Flat Aluminum 2 cans
$5.99 VHT Flam Clear Coat Satin

$7.99 Acetone
*Already had dish washer liquid
$3.49 180 grit Sand Paper
$2.99 Steel wool #3
$190.96 or so.....

The Coated version:
Jeggs and Summit H8026-1 coated headers $375 + shipping

The enjoyment of working on a part for my ride with a 6 pack priceless.....:beers:

Raw after Sanding, Washing, Acetoning

Primer Coating

Flat Aluminum

Flat Aluminum with Satin Clear

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
i'll assume you already tial fit them to the car and made any alterations needed to clear everything on the car before making them look all pretty..

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
One more step to perfection.:yes:

Hang them with the flanges UP.

Now, take a cheap roofer's torch (the $20.00 kind that hooks up to a barbecue propane bottle), and stick the flame into the collector end for a few seconds. Let the heat rise out the individual tubes.

The headers will smoke lightly. Let them cool a couple minutes and repeat.

Do this about 5 or 6 times until you can hold the torch in the collector for about 20 seconds and not get any smoke off the tubes.

The paint is now heat-cured and ready to go. It'll last for years.

I've done it this way for years with excellent results every time.

Randy

(BTW, Gun Barrel City is near Cedar Creek Lake, not too far from me. I have a couple friends that live down there. Now, Cut 'n Shoot, TX is a different story. That's down there by you!):D

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Not to rain on anyones parade but...Trey aka crankitup HAD those headers on his car, didnt like fitment, collectors hung down too low, at an angle. Trey is using Hedmans now.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Those Patriots looks aweful similar to my Hookers...the flanges do anyway.

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to rain on anyones parade but...Trey aka crankitup HAD those headers on his car, didnt like fitment, collectors hung down too low, at an angle. Trey is using Hedmans now.
Bob you are correct, they do kind hang a little low and it is noticable we cut the front spring about 1/2 inch then I also took the heavy spare out the back and believe it or not it has a slight tilt, I can see it....lol My buddy says I am bullsh$ting....:D

But at this point, I am over the budget alot for the car, so I said what the hell, If I don't like em, I can pop the Mani's back on or buy some more down the line... Also the bolt on the passenger side control arm had to be shaved about less than an 1/2 inch..... I had to tap a primary on the driver side, slightly not much though......

Another con was they had some slight surface rust around the flanges. I had to pull out the drill and get to sanding but it came right off. I was a little worried at first. They say they are suppose to come with an oil on em but I could not feel it..... Just to let everybody know it was not all peachy....:confused:

But for $190 well see for a daily driver that will tarnish , fade, possibly rust anyway, I was not going to shell out major paper..... They might not be lemons, or Stainless but I will give em a try and let Chevelle tech know...

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more step to perfection.:yes:

Hang them with the flanges UP.

Now, take a cheap roofer's torch (the $20.00 kind that hooks up to a barbecue propane bottle), and stick the flame into the collector end for a few seconds. Let the heat rise out the individual tubes.

The headers will smoke lightly. Let them cool a couple minutes and repeat.

Do this about 5 or 6 times until you can hold the torch in the collector for about 20 seconds and not get any smoke off the tubes.

The paint is now heat-cured and ready to go. It'll last for years.

I've done it this way for years with excellent results every time.

Randy

(BTW, Gun Barrel City is near Cedar Creek Lake, not too far from me. I have a couple friends that live down there. Now, Cut 'n Shoot, TX is a different story. That's down there by you!):D
Thx for the tips, I live about 20 mins from Cut n Shoot, TX, lol:D in Spring

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
They came out really good. Thats what I did with my Doug's longtube headers on the '65. havent rusted or tarnished yet and I have given them every opportunity.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Thx for the tips, I live about 20 mins from Cut n Shoot, TX, lol:D in Spring
Otherwise known as Sprang. :yes: :D

That VHT header paint is pretty good. I used it when I had to have Lemons make a new #8 tube. Didn't want to wait on the coaters, so I VHT'd it. Still on there and no signs of rust. I'll have the entire set recoated after mocking up the new exhaust. Who did you call locally?

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Otherwise known as Sprang. :yes: :D

That VHT header paint is pretty good. I used it when I had to have Lemons make a new #8 tube. Didn't want to wait on the coaters, so I VHT'd it. Still on there and no signs of rust. I'll have the entire set recoated after mocking up the new exhaust. Who did you call locally?
I called:
Precision
Polydyn
there was one more but at the time was calling I was just rolling through calling and eliminating. The Polydyn is suppose to be good though from what I here......$350

The funny thing most of the podwer coaters I called here would not powder coat em, they said it would not hold for long.....

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I called:
Precision
Polydyn
there was one more but at the time was calling I was just rolling through calling and eliminating. The Polydyn is suppose to be good though from what I here......$350

The funny thing most of the podwer coaters I called here would not powder coat em, they said it would not hold for long.....

Once upon a time, Polydyne would only do black. No shiny Al coatings. I like shiny! Shiny is faster. :yes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just my two sense...I have put headers on everything i have owned... headman hooker dynomax..blah blah....my understanding all your cheap 100$ headers is not all by them..just slap a label on them and get your money....most of your headers that are made in house is coated...anyways i bought a set of bbc headers from patriot for my 72 chevelle...can't speak enough for them...fit great...the welds are perfect...can't beat the workmanship!!!and great price....

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Shonuff...

When you get the headers installed, any possibility of taking a couple measurements? I'd like to know the ground clearance of your crossmember, and then the ground clearance from the headers' lowest point.

Lawson72...

What size header are you running? Ground clearance measurement of your crossmember and headers?

·
Banned
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ Slick, will do

Hey guys some one said this ealier but Look at these 2 headers, damn, they look the same, is it me or does any one else notice this?

The Patriot H8026 2" I just painted

The Hooker Comp 2" 2455

Another photo of the Hooker Comp from the classified section

They look similar, are these companies buying them from a private manufactor or they each making them in house but copying each other?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'm doing the same on my Hookers. i bought a set of 2455's, I almost bought the Summit's but didn't know about fitment issues. The 2455 fit very well, however need a bit of massaging on the RH side and the plug boots are a bit tight.

I was looking at some cermamic paint from here, $50 for 13 oz is pricey though

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/retailprice.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts