Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you who have been following along the epic story of a chevelle being converted for a 454 know, I am currently putting my baby back together to hopefully get some driving in before winter! I have been reading all these posts lately about how much trouble people have getting their headers in and how little clearance they have and being to close to the oil filter etc. WELL, I just got my engine dropped in last weekend, had the headers sitting in the engine bay to make things easier, and I was expecting a FIGHT with these things because of stuff I have read on here. WELL, I have to say, I was completely surprised at how well they fit. There is LOTS of clearance between the driver side header and the steering arm, like an inch and a half I think. Also the header is about 2 - 2.5 inches from the oil filter, THESE THINGS FIT BETTER THAN THE HEADERS I HAD ON MY 350. I just can't believe it. So, for anyone who is scared to put headers on there car, they are not ALL bad.

However, I can't comment on how easy the would've installed with the engine already in the engine compartment.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to know that things are going well..

I might be wrong here, but did the saruman send the snowstorm to annoy the fellowship, when they were on the mountains, prior entering the "underground" and meeting mr. Balrog?.. been like years since reading..

Point is, that i hope you get few rides before the snow.. better have a good relations with the man..

Partel.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
i want to know what size tubes these headers have, my Hookers have 2 inch tubes and had to ding em to get them to fit...lots of difference between 1.5 inch and 2 inch tubes...

------------------
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chris,
I agree with you on the Hedman headers. Quality, fit and price. As far as installation on a big block thats already in the car. The passenger side is a breeze. The drivers side is a little harder, you need to remove the steering coupling to allow the header to slide up from the bottom. I also like to remove the oil filter in case I need to angle the header. They also stand behind their warranty as long as you don't use header wrap.

Dave Kidwell

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had the same experience with the Dynomax. After wrestling the more popular and expensive for a full day. I sold them to a much younger hot-rodder and got the dynomax. Had to give up a 1/4 inch on dia. But they went in in two hours with no damage and no customizing. Plan to use the extra 300 bucks to improve the nitrous system to more than make up any H.P. losses.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I guess I should have given some more information.

1) These are full length headers, no 3/4 or shorties for me.

2) Not 100% sure (i'm an hour away from the receipt and headers) but I think the tube size is 1 7/8.

3) Assuming my headers are 1.5" (which I am pretty sure they aren't) EVEN IF these headers had 2 inch tubes, as long as they followed the same path through the engine compartment, I am sure they would still have fit well because there is absolutely NO place along any of the tubes where an extra 1/4 inch would cause problems, which is how much extra they would stick out in one direction going from 1.5 to 2 inch.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am not sure why everyone is having a problem putting headers on their BBC motors. I installed a set of Hooker Comp headers, 2.0 inch pipes, standard length, in a 1970 454 chevelle last winter with the engine in the car. I too have about 1/2 of an inch clearance from steering. No problem with oil filter as I am running a remote filter set up. All that was required was to jack the car up high enough and then jack the side of the motor up that you were working on. I DID NOT have to undo any of the steering to get them in from the bottom. Just had to remove all clutch linkeage.
About a 3 hour job.

[This message has been edited by DUANE OCHS (edited 10-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by DUANE OCHS (edited 10-07-99).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have ceramic coated Hedman headers (full length, 1 7/8 primary) in my big-block '66 and they fit like a glove. I have installed them with the headers in the compartment when the engine is out (easiet) and put them in after the motor is in (still pretty easy, just jack your front end up sky high). I got a set of hooker super comps with 2 inch primaries also, but havent used them yet.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pretty sure that standard trannies are smaller than automatics right, and I think that the tranny gets in the way when you're trying to install headers from the bottom. Anyway, I chose not to use a remote system, i got one but decided not to use it because the headers are almost 2 inches away from the oil filter, the rubber hoses for the remote filter would have had to get closer to the headers than the filter alone did.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan, Canada
CST Kelsey

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hedmam might be the oldest name in the header business. Nice to see they still know what their doing. See the old pictures of race cars back in the 50s with their decals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too wonder about the guys having fit problems with the 2" Hookers. Mine fall into place on the right side, the left side requires you to unbolt the motor mount and raise the engine about 2" and they slide right into place. The Hookers fit my car (original big block) much better than a set of Hedmans fit one of my customers Chevelles, but to be fair it originally came with a small block and we did not change the motor mount stands on the frame when we swapped engines. This appears to move the engine about 1" further to the rear judging by the distributor to firewall clearance.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Don't spend time wondering about "us guys". My effin Hookers needed to be massaged to fit and it's not my imagination. Possibly becuase their 2" Comps in a 67 I donnow, but I'll never recommend Hookers to anyone again. #5 tube does not work without a dent on 64-67 PERIOD. BTW, the bigger tubes did help my high end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think we were wondering about a 1966 or 1967. Grandalf80s signature states that he has a 1971 malibu which I believe the engine compartment is the same as a 1970, but different than a 1966 or 1967. That is the only thing I was referring to about the problem of 2.0 Hooker headers fitting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do a search,I posted a while back I tried to put Hookers in and cursed every second. Sent em back in exchange for Hedmans and they fit perfect! Didnt have to raise the 502 or unbolt anything. Install time was well under an hour!

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
We found that the 2" Hooker Competition headers rattled on the steering shaft with #3 cylinder pipe. The #7 pipe hit on the brake distribution block on the frame. The block had to be relocated. The collectors also hung down and created needless ground clearance problems. Never had these troubles with Hedman. They fit like they should.

[This message has been edited by Keith Tedford (edited 10-08-99).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.